kekoukela · 1794

Offline kekoukela

on: April 19, 2015, 07:57:51 PM
Does this work well with the Crack?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 05:25:31 AM
You don't really need the extra gain in most cases. If you just want the multiple inputs a Submissive passive control might be a better choice. You get multiple inputs and a very good sounding attenuator without adding extra tubes stages that aren't really needed.

Hmm, I think we might demo that setup at the Head Fi meet at Bottleheadquarters this weekend.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kekoukela

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:52:11 AM
Ohh, I see thank you for the reply! I think I just really liked it because of the tubes haha.

Also,

Would the submissive control allow me to regulate the loudness of the audio before it enters into the crack? Basically i was hoping to get around soldering the 77K and 33K resistors by controlling the volume of the input instead.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:09:35 AM by kekoukela »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:44 AM
Yes, that would be one of the more important improvements. You could start by leaving the Crack turned all the way up and adjust the listening volume with the submissive. It has a big range so you should be able to find a sweet spot. And if your source is over the top super loud you could turn the Crack volume down a little too, though I don't think that would be necessary.

With the Crack volume turned all the way up the resistance of the Crack's pot is out of the signal path. That lets the superior sound of the Submissive volume control dominate.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kekoukela

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:55:59 PM
Awesome! Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again Doc!