Newbie looking for some diagnostic help (Solved)

elawyoung · 3995

Offline elawyoung

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 05:10:27 PM
That cleared up all the voltages.  Got it hooked up and it sounds great.

From the time I first tested the only things I changed were to solder B9 (the wire connection was pretty tight so I don't think there was much of an issue there).  Then this evening, I noticed the spacing of B7, B8, B9 were pretty close.  It may have been B7 and B8 touching or B8/B9 or all three.  But after making sure that there were gaps between all three I checked the voltages and everything was right in range.  I didn't de-solder any connections, but there was some type of short that caused the resistors to overheat and that lettering to fade as you can see in the picture.  I moved through the hum balance and sat back and enjoyed some music.

Thanks again for the support.

Offline elawyoung

Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 07:21:05 AM
Unlikely indeed. After finishing the base, I hooked it back up and the problem resurfaced. I thought back over anything that changed and I'll have to own up to a rookie mistake. When I first placed the 2A3 tubes I didn't line up the correct connections. When I read in the manual that it might be difficult to insert them the first time I was a little too focused on getting it in the way I had it lined up and forced it. I've noticed now that there is some play in the 4 pin connections and when I position them right, everything works great. But a slight bump will cause the A side to cut out.  I forced open the pin connections and slightly scuffed the tube connections by inserting them incorrectly.  Would this cause the issue?  Do I need to consider replacing just the 4 pin connections or the tubes as well?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 08:59:21 AM
Just tighten (bend) the pin contacts in the socket so they make good contact again.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline elawyoung

Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 04:17:35 PM
I was able to pinch the contacts together and make a nice tight connection. Everything looks good and sounds great. Thanks again for the help.