J River or Amarra

butchbass · 10805

Offline butchbass

on: February 25, 2015, 08:46:45 AM
I am about to order a Mac Mini and I need to choose the music server software. I currently have a Windows PC with J River so I am familiar with it but I have read good things about Amarra. Has anyone in the BH community had experience with both programs and if so any recommendations/warnings/suggestions would be appreciated. I am planning on getting the Mini with the 2.6 ghz processor with 8 mb ram and the 1 Tb fusion Drive.
Thanks

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline Bob

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:02:34 AM
Butch,

I have used both on the Mac Mini (My music server of choice!). Between these choices I prefer Amarra. I would also encourage you to give Pure Music a try on the Mac Mini, they offer a 15 day trial and you should also look at BitPerfect --- I use this app more and more on my Mac Mini - it allows the music to be sent to my DAC as the name implies - bit perfect ! It also runs only $10 - give it a try also - I really like it.

Bob S

Bob

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:28:43 AM
Amarra sounds really, really good. Pure Music is good too. They are different, in that Pure Music, to my ear, is a little more neutral/clinical, and Amarra is a little more full bodied/leaning on the smooth side. The nice thing about Amarra is that it uses the same Sonic Studio Engine (meaning the digital processing math used in the software is the same) as Soundblade , which is the DAW software that an awful lot of what we listen to is mastered with.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline butchbass

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:09:25 AM
If I try several types of software on a trial  basis how hard is it to transfer the music from one data base to another?

Butch Gross

Offline orson

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:47:00 AM
To add some confusion I throw a vote for Audirvana in. Beside of the  great sound I like most:
- perfect iTunes-integration (great for iPad-remote)
- even plays DSD with iTunes via proxies
- DSD-realtime conversion for non-DSD-capable DACs
- automated system-optimization when playing
Only bug I found: DxD-Files play only correct directly in Audirvana (I'm on version 1, don't know if it is fixed in 2).

Mac with Audirvana | Audio GD Reference 5.32 | Bottlehead Crack | Beyerdynamic T1

Offline butchbass

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:35:42 AM
If i go with Amarra is it best to use it separate from iTunes or in conjunction with it? I currently do not use iTunes.

Butch Gross

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:41:30 AM
The only advantage of using it with iTunes is if you already have an iTunes library and you are used to using the interface to find music. I don't know how close the current iteration is, but the older versions I have used give playing the file directly from Amarra's playlist a very slight audible advantage over playing through Amarra from the iTunes playlist. One other disadvantage to having iTunes on the computer is that you can inadvertently eat up RAM by having a song playing in iTunes while another is playing in Amarra.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline butchbass

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:47 AM
Good, I want to use Amarra exclusively with no attachment to iTunes. To me the simpler the better. I am somewhat a neanderthal  when it comes to computer software and I have a lot to learn. I just want to get the best sound I can.
Thanks for the feedback Doc.

Butch

Butch Gross

Offline butchbass

Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 06:54:36 AM
Another Amarra question, does it rip CDs? I have looked  at their web site and users manual and can find no reference to ripping. I assume it would rip CDs.

Butch Gross

Offline orson

Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:48:27 AM
Afaik it can play CD but not rip.
Best app for bitperfect ripping on Mac is XLD.

Mac with Audirvana | Audio GD Reference 5.32 | Bottlehead Crack | Beyerdynamic T1

Offline butchbass

Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:48:59 AM
Then if I go the Amarra route I also need to get XLD. Does XLD send it to Amarra automatically? Is there any music player software for Mac that has a rip feature?

Butch Gross

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 10:21:11 AM
iTunes.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline butchbass

Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 10:41:35 AM
As you can see I have a lot of questions. If I use iTunes to rip what is the benefit of having Amarra? Will iTunes rip to Amarra and store the music in a higher resolution?

Butch Gross

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 10:51:09 AM
iTunes is free and you can download a free evaluation copy of Amarra. So maybe it makes sense to get both and compare how they sound. Why rely upon what others tell you when you have the freedom to decide for yourself?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline butchbass

Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 11:19:50 AM
I am just trying to figure out how they work together. There is not much info that I can find that describes how they interface. Putting my CDs on my computer is a priority but I do not want a lossy format.

Butch Gross