Goldpoint Stereo 24 step Mini-V

siedsma1 · 12327

Offline siedsma1

on: May 27, 2010, 01:17:38 PM
I just got my FPIII kit and am planning on installing the Goldpoint 24 step 10K stereo control. I'm a little confused with the hook up, the goldpoint is labled in, out and ground, I understand ground is ground, but what about in and out? I read this was not a standard hook up and that it was reversed. If so how would it be hooked up in relation to the in and out on the Goldpoint. Based on the pictures (red wire / black wire) red wire coming from the input would go to the " in " on the Goldpoint and black wire to the out!
Thanks for the help
Keith

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:49:33 PM
Keeping the Bottlehead design, which includes series resistors that are needed, you swap in and out on the Goldpoints.  That is, the signal from the selector switch feeds the "out" of the Goldpoint (the wiper) and the grid stopper resistor is wired to the "in" of the Goldpoint (top of the attenuator).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:58:43 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:18:49 PM
I just did this see with dual mono controls.  The input on the goldpoint becomes the output and the goldpoint output becomes the input

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,699.0.html

and

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,119.0.html

Any questions feel free to PM me

Debra
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:45:49 PM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline siedsma1

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 03:04:43 PM
Grainger,

You mention series resistors what size and were if I use the Goldpoint 10K? i want to stay true to the Bottlehead design I really just want one volume control

Offline debk

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:41:36 PM
I used a small program I found on the internet to design a 15K stepped attenuator and used the custom Goldpoint attenuators.  I got the resistors from Newark.  The series resistors are the 33K resistors going from the selector switch from the inputs.  This value can be changed as per your needs. 

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 05:24:36 PM
A 10K works fine with the 33K (or greater) series resistor, as described in the manual.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:21:57 AM
Grainger,

You mention series resistors what size and were if I use the Goldpoint 10K? i want to stay true to the Bottlehead design I really just want one volume control

In the FP III the series dropping resistors are 33k ohms and are from the terminal strips to the selector switch input lugs.  They are shown on page 24 of your manual with the body of the resistors very close to the selector switch lugs.  

That places them away from the volume controls.  They shouldn't affect your installation of Goldpoints.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:24:15 AM by Grainger49 »