High pass for Mini Orcas

feeench · 3140

Offline feeench

on: January 24, 2015, 05:23:22 PM
I'm loving my Mini Orcas but I guess I like to turn the volume up a bit past 11 sometimes, with very bass heavy music this can sometimes pose an issue with these drivers running full range so... If I wanted to high pass the speakers, what would be the best way of doing so? I'm using a S.E.X. amp.

Offline feeench

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:19:00 PM
Can I just use a 250uF Capacitor in series at the binding post of the speaker to get a cut off at around 80Hz (@ 8ohms)? If so, is a 100V rating good enough? Any suggestions for brand/type?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:20:38 PM by feeench »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:25:13 AM
Try a 100uF bipolar.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline feeench

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:05:47 PM
This worked pretty well! Took just enough of the edge off on a few particular songs without taking much else from the audio... I think I'm going to make some sort of switching device to switch between full range and the 100uF. It might be too early to tell but I think I'm losing some of the texture when using the 100uF's.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:12:28 PM
You can try using 100uF film caps instead of the lytics.  The bipolar electrolytic caps are great for testing and design, but not always the best performers.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline feeench

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 12:25:46 PM
Good point. These are Nichicon audio grade caps but they were still pretty darn cheap. I'll have a look around. Intriguing results! :) I need to some some extended listening and comparing yet.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:36:58 PM
I personally would not recommend a high pass cap for the Orca Mini's as its a sure bet to get a muddy and thin sound.

The power handling of the Mini's (or deluxes/classics) is far greater than 2 watts... It is the amp that is running out of steam when you turn your system up to 11.  A 2A3 or 300B is a good alternative within the Bottlehead lineup to get more juice from an SET system

Best,

Clark

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:27:55 AM
... And that said, a SEX amp in a large room at home now is producing (as always) fantastic sound.  If your volume requirements are low to low medium (I personally recommend for a serious listener to own at least one system like this for health reasons) (making the case for your longevity as a listener), then a 2 watt system through small speakers and a sub will do great for that purpose.  Or in a big room, keeping another more powerful power amplifier around that you are able to hook up can help keep things fresh for house parties or louder listening.  The SEX amp and Thrashers work well together too btw. 

Cheers,

Clark
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:30:00 AM by Clark B. »

Offline feeench

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 06:08:53 PM
I've come to this conclusion of simply needing a bit more power... I don't like what the caps do to the sound at all... I think even with a high quality film cap it would be bad.

I built the Quicksand as an experiment which is delivering 4watts and I can get louder with the Mini Orcas with far less distortion. I realized that it's not the Mini Orcas that are reaching their peak, it's the SEX amp being pushed to it's limits... Quicksand: Far louder than I need. Cool.

Buuut. I also just built a Smash with Smashup and added it to my chain and it's bumped the gain a bit... I don't need any more loudness now... However, it's not ideal, a Stereomour/Paramount with 2A3's might be more up my alley at the end of the chain... But the versatility of the SEX @ my computer desktop for both speakers and headphones is leaving me in bliss... I still can't wait to come home every night and fire up the amp and get the tunes pumping... Talk about therapy! Really...

I'm also building a Firstwatt F4 to see what it can do for me in this chain. I think I'll leave Stereomour/Paramount for the living room setup, which I've yet to build... You can expect another order from me down the road Clark... Although I'm a bit saddened that you've done away with the 5" speakers, maybe I'll have to ask real nice... I think those coupled to a 2A3+F4 would be a real party piece when needed...

The 3" drivers are brilliant though, I'm learning that they may be all that's needed in almost any situation for me... What is their max power handling capability?

Quite a journey! I still have much to learn.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:10:57 PM by feeench »