1.5 V battery; tube socket

Mysterious Mose · 1605

Offline Mysterious Mose

on: March 14, 2015, 10:12:13 AM
I just finished building this kit and the sound is great.   :)  But:  :(

1. The 1.5V filament batteries get exhausted very quickly.  Is there a type of battery which can be expected to last longer?  (Also, I'm considering rechargeable batteries.)

2. One of the jacks in one of the tube sockets is a little bit plugged.  The tube doesn't go in all the way, but it still works.  Why would it be plugged and what could I do to unlug it, other than replacing the socket?

Dan

Dan Kalish

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:47:53 AM
1. The 1.5V filament batteries get exhausted very quickly.  Is there a type of battery which can be expected to last longer?  (Also, I'm considering rechargeable batteries.)
What kind of batteries are you using now?
2. One of the jacks in one of the tube sockets is a little bit plugged.  The tube doesn't go in all the way, but it still works.  Why would it be plugged and what could I do to unlug it, other than replacing the socket?
If a lot of solder is used in the build, it can get into the tube socket pin receptacles.  Sometimes you can reheat the offending pin with the plate flipped over, and the solder will flow out.  If not, the socket has to be replaced.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mysterious Mose

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:46 AM
I think I had carbon zinc batteries.  I'm not particular about the kind of battery to use and am on my way to pick up a pair.   I use this in my only system for listening to music.  It's  source ---> preamplifier ---> PSAudio headphone amplifier ---> Sennheiser HD 650 headphones.

I'll try the desoldering procedure specified.

Now I'm onto Crack.  Yes, I already have a headphone amp but ... .

Dan Kalish

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:18:49 AM
Carbon zinc batteries are incredibly low quality, and aren't going to last long.  Of the carbon zinc batteries I have used, I note that many of them self discharge fairly quickly after any initial use.  I would recommend trying alkaline batteries if possible.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 10:29:43 AM
Yeah, they may have a short shelf life, but since relatively few are used they are usually old when you buy them. The worst is that the "heavy duty" label is still used, though it has been downright deceptive ever since the invention of the alkaline cell.

Paul Joppa