Impedance Selector switch

Alonzo · 4041

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 06:38:30 PM
Replaced LED and that seems to have fixed it.  Probably a bad solder joint on the old LED.  Now all light, Kreg on both is 10.7.  20 and 30 trimmed to 145 successfully.  Removing the OT3's, parafeed caps, balance switch and headphone jack, marking the drill holes for the TL-404's tonight. 
Thanks for the help.  Hopefully this replacement is pretty straight forward.  I'm changing the cap value to 3.3uF (what I have) since the TL404's are 5K.  I have a rotary switch to tack in place until my DP3T toggles arrive.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 06:19:19 AM
Finished the install late last night.  Used STP from the TL404's to the selector switch, used the same switch as in the attenuator.  It sounds great right out of the blocks.  I can't imagine it improving but there's new caps to break in so it's going to wonderful afterwards.  If I find a good knob and label I may not go to the toggle switches, will have to see how much the uneven switch heights bug my OCDness.
The power transformer gets mighty hot.  I didn't get a temperature but after about an hour of listening, it compares to the transformer in the Smash, while the transformer in the Stereomour is cool.  Is this normal due to it's small size?

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 06:23:24 AM
The transformer in the Stereomour is considerably larger than it needed to be.  IIRC, this was simply a matter of materials available at the time, and consequently it runs abnormally cool.

The power transformer in the Smash is running at a small fraction of its potential, that operating temperature is perfectly normal.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man