Afterglow hum pot needs replacement

mas · 7812

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 07:16:16 AM
If you take Paul's excellent suggestion drill a hole and mount the hum pots through the top plate too. 

I swear, I will do it to my Paramours some day when the bug hits me.  I really will!

Offline mas

Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:25:24 AM
Paul and Grainger, thanks for the suggestions.  In fact, this whole thing started because I moved the amp a little bit on the shelf  a fraction, and a little bit of extra hum resulted.  Yes I agree, I need to secure things better internally.

As you can see in the picture, the amp used a two wire AC cord with no ground.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13/masiebers/Afterglow/IMG_1640.jpg
I have since replaced the hard wired connection with an IEC socket, without using the ground connection.  At least I can move the amp on my shelf without pulling at wires inside of the amp.  Should I connect the iec ground to the ground bus?

I bought the Afterglow, Foreplay and Seduction as part of downsizing my system. My initial thought was to sell the foreplay and afterglow and keep the seduction for use with a mid-fi integrated. However, I love the afterglow and foreplay, so I plan on hanging on to these. 

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 11:31:34 AM
I have two manuals, both dated 1997 but not the same; both also have (different) handwritten changes noted in them. Conclusion is that there were several variations, and yours is modified anyhow.

I could see a rebuild to better mechanical standards, especially since the components are mechanically different. But the Afterglow circuit has unique differences from what we do now which you may want to retain, if you really like the sound. (There may be some minor voltage optimizations to be done, once it is running properly again.)

I'll be out of town for a week or two, but happy to talk when I'm back. If nobody else comes through, I can copy one of my manuals for you.

Paul Joppa

Offline mas

Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 10:26:04 AM
Thanks, Paul. No manual offered yet, so whenever you have time, I'd appreciate a  copy.