In search of why vinyl lovers love vinyl

ChrisM · 38733

Offline madbrayniak

Reply #75 on: January 07, 2014, 11:17:39 AM
This may have been mentioned but I have noticed that on average the vinyl version of albums have better dynamic range than other formats of the album on dr.loudness-war.com

That could also show why so many find LPs to sound better.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #76 on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:31 AM
I think that this has more to do with mastering then media format.  Much CD mastering is highly compressed to sound "better" in mobile applications. Vinyl RIAA is a compression/decompression format that when done well is very good, but often, especially in pop music, done poorly.  Hard to make a generalization because many vinyl records were highly compressed.  There is no shortage of examples of bad mastering in digital or analog!  Don't even get me started on high priced, heavy weight vinyl mastered from the CD files.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline corndog71

Reply #77 on: January 08, 2014, 06:54:35 AM
Don't even get me started on high priced, heavy weight vinyl mastered from the CD files.

Cheers,
Geary

I have a few of those.  They sound exactly like the CD!  ::)

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #78 on: January 08, 2014, 07:13:25 AM

I have a few of those.  They sound exactly like the CD!  ::)

Exactly!  A very stiff price premium for digital sound! 

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Offline Wanderer

Reply #79 on: January 09, 2014, 04:18:35 AM
.... Vinyl RIAA is a compression/decompression format that.........

No compression/decompression involved in RIAA equalization.
http://www.stereophile.com/features/cut_and_thrust_riaa_lp_equalization

Now there were a few LPs recorded with dbx noise suppression that was an compression/expansion process. LP encoding with dbx never got very popular and it died in the mid 1980s.     

Kevin R-M

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #80 on: January 09, 2014, 04:41:27 AM
.... Vinyl RIAA is a compression/decompression format that.........

No compression/decompression involved in RIAA equalization.
http://www.stereophile.com/features/cut_and_thrust_riaa_lp_equalization

Now there were a few LPs recorded with dbx noise suppression that was an compression/expansion process. LP encoding with dbx never got very popular and it died in the mid 1980s.     

I think we are quibbling here.  To equalize or deemphasize the amplitude of the signal is to reduce, or compress the peaks.

Cheers,
Geary

Offline Wanderer

Reply #81 on: January 09, 2014, 06:10:38 AM
[I think we are quibbling here.  To equalize or deemphasize the amplitude of the signal is to reduce, or compress the peaks.

Cheers,
Geary

Guess I am a hard nose but I don't think it is a quibble. Compression/expansion effects the  dynamic/volumn range of the signal while equalization effects the frequecy balance of the signal.

Compression/expansion and equalization are different things that effect different aspects of the signal.

An audio compressor/expander, "compander", is a wholly different device then an equalizer.  An equalizer can be realized with a completely passive device, like "The Fix", but I can't see how one could make a passive compander.   

https://www.hsu-hh.de/ant/index.php?brick_id=oQz216jdttDCkH91&action=setlanguage&language=en       

Kevin R-M