Is Paramount suitable for running 24hrs round the clock for burning in

andy2667 · 12632

Offline Grainger49

I always bleed down big caps with my meter clipped on.  That way I know how much juice is still in there.  I have been bit too many times.

Offline ssssly

The bigger the resistor the faster it will bleed down a cap.

In terms of resistance, the opposite is true. The smaller the resistor value, the faster the cap will discharge through it. In terms of physical size, which has mostly to do with power handling, it only matters that the resistor is big enough that it won't overheat during the discharge process. A 10K ohm 1W or 2W is typically what I use.

That's what i get for posting way too early in the morning. Intended meaning was the higher the rated wattage not the larger the resistance.

220k is definitely overkill for just about any cap. Was a combination of what I had on hand and the fact that I needed to bleed some huge caps. Will work will just discharge slower. Still generally talking about seconds.

If I remember correctly the actual formula for bleeders is R = t(in sec) / ( 5 * C ). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
If I remember correctly the actual formula for bleeders is R = t(in sec) / ( 5 * C ). ...
That will take the voltage down to about 0.6% of the original voltage, if you ignore dielectric absorption. Many caps have enough DA to bring their voltage back up a bit after discharging so be careful.

Also, t is in seconds if R is in ohms and C is in farads - if you use uF (microfarads) the actual time will be literally a million times longer. It's always a good idea to check with a voltmeter  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline langendorf

Hi

I do really dont, have an amp that i want to use for this. Could i not just have the crack powered on for a few days? And use the stock tube for that?

Sennheiser HD-800 - Crack