preamp dilemna

aragorn723 · 4200

Offline aragorn723

on: May 29, 2015, 05:22:11 PM
Hi,

I have been looking for a turntable, and am leaning towards the Rega RP1.  A few days ago, I went to a local stereo shop and listened to some records on it, and talked to the dealer about what to do with my system (this dealer is unusually honest, if they think you are wasting your money on something, they will flat out tell you).  I was thinking about playing an RP1 thru my old Sony Ta series integrated amp (RP1 hooks up to phono in and plays thru record out) to a Quickie.  The dealer suggests going with a Rega fono mini instead (~$175), so the whole system would be ~$620.  Am I better off playing thru the Sony in the mean time, then building a reduction (not sure about spending ~600 just yet-it would be nice to spend it more incrementally).  I'm looking to buy some more records in the mean time though too, hard to justify spending this kind of money on the 3 records at home now :)  Any thoughts on the phono preamp?

Dave

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:04:01 PM
No specific advice here ... but this is my personal rule for new enthusiasms (I get that a lot, too):

Don't spend more on the gear than you have on actually doing the thing the gear helps. So if you spend $500 getting something that plays records, then you can't upgrade until you have spent $500 on records, or spent xxx hours listening to them (depending on your valuation of leisure time). This limits your financial exposure in case the enthusiasm fades.

Basically, the longer you put off an upgrade, the more you will know about what specific upgrade you are most in need of.

Paul Joppa

Offline Chris65

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 02:19:21 AM
Great advice from Paul. If you really only have 3 records, I would say stick with the Sony for the moment.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:17:26 AM
hmm sounds like Economics class all over again  :D  I guess that makes sense, lately i've been finding some at around $2 each, so maybe after buying 20 or 30, it would be a good time to pick up a turntable, and start with that (working up gradually).  On amazon they have a lot of new records.  Some are 180 gram?  Supposedly they are better than the older type of records?  Maybe someone can explain that one.  There is also a local record shop in the next town over, so maybe i'll check that out at some point today.  Can anyone suggest other places to look (maybe online?)

Dave

Offline Thoburn

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 05:50:26 AM
hmm sounds like Economics class all over again  :D  I guess that makes sense, lately i've been finding some at around $2 each, so maybe after buying 20 or 30, it would be a good time to pick up a turntable, and start with that (working up gradually).  On amazon they have a lot of new records.  Some are 180 gram?  Supposedly they are better than the older type of records?  Maybe someone can explain that one.  There is also a local record shop in the next town over, so maybe i'll check that out at some point today.  Can anyone suggest other places to look (maybe online?)

Dave
Acoustic Sounds has a large selection. I've bought a lot of vinyl from them. Their Quality Record Pressings vinyl are exceptional.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 07:33:17 AM
Buying records online is something to do as a last resort for something rare you can't find locally. For heaven's sake don't buy from Amazon. Amazon is the biggest force working against the great local record stores that are still surviving. If there isn't a record store in your town, there probably was a couple years ago. Save the one the next town over and SHOP THERE!

Start by going to thrift stores, some have no records, some have few, and some have a lot. You will figure it out pretty quick. Generally priced around $1 each. You'll be sifting through some lowest common denominator stuff, but every single record you have mentioned in your other thread is in the bins at a thrift store somewhere. Garage, and especially estate sales are hit-or-miss, but you can really clean up if you find a good one. Most record stores also have dollar bins with similar fare to the thrift stores. Antique marts, on the other hand, are usually way overpriced and should be avoided.

180g is a scam. Tossing a few extra vinyl pellets into the press won't fix any earlier problems with mixing/mastering/cutting, et cetera. Plus depending on how sensitive the cartridge is to SRA, the extra thickness might make it sound worse.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Bill Epstein

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 07:40:24 AM
Acoustic Sounds has a large selection. I've bought a lot of vinyl from them. Their Quality Record Pressings vinyl are exceptional.

With respect, going from 3 records and an entry level playback system to $30 to $60 re-issues of music that can be had for $2 to $10 used doesn't make much sense to me.

Regardless of where you are, Aragorn, if you Google a bit, you will find record shows where dozens of storefront and gypsy dealers gather to sell. One example: http://www.colleenscollectables.com/website/. They occur all over the country.  I've always done well at them with purchases in the $4 to $6 range. Amazon and Ebay have both served me well but you're browsing has to be targeted. Record stores are hit and miss but some are worth driving for: Jerry's in Pittsburgh, Princeton Record Exchange in...Princeton, NJ and my own local, Voltage REcords downtown Asheville.

Above all, listen to Paul. I'm up to my ears in Engineers and Rocket Scientists in my daily life and Paul Joppa has more common sense than the lot of them combined.

VPI Traveler/ZYX R50
Cinemag 3440 AH
Steve Brown Caravaggio Phono
Foreplay 2.1
The Twins: 55 Watt Mullard 5-20 KT-88 mono-Blocks
4 Pi Speakers

Offline aragorn723

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:11:46 PM
Good stuff!  Princeton is about an hour away from here, i'll have to sucker my Dad into going on a day trip to go there :)  I went to a local shop today, and can definitely say it is hit or miss.  Anybody into Jefferson Airplane?  They must have had 10 of their records!  The thing I like about amazon is that they have a lot of new records.  I recently got into Ed Sheeran's music, so it would be cool to pick up one of his albums.  Probably wouldn't buy used online, there's no easy way to know if the record is scratched or warped.  I think half the fun is the hunt.

Dave

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 02:14:30 AM
For new vinyl I get really good service from Elusive Disc, better than Music Direct or Amazon.  Sometimes Amazon has a better price but not always.  Elusive Disc often has LPs that are out of stock at the other two.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 05:25:58 AM
With respect, going from 3 records and an entry level playback system to $30 to $60 re-issues of music that can be had for $2 to $10 used doesn't make much sense to me

With respect,
He asked. I shared. I have bought plenty used records from local shops. A few are well done and in good shape, but none have the sonic quality as any that I've bought from QRP. Is it worth it, only he can say.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:13:07 AM
peace..  I appreciate the feedback, and will probably wind up buying both some at yard sales/local shops, and maybe websites for stuff that isn't available locally..  Just needed some ideas.  Thanks!

Dave 

Offline rockpassion

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 02:07:06 PM
I have gone through the upgrade path both on my TT (VPI HW-19 MKIV) and the electronics (all Bottlehead Phono Pre and Premp) and would recommend this to anyone who really enjoys music and the Audio Hobby.  I began with a Technics SP1300 and about 400 hundred albums.  I was given two record collections of about 1500 albums total.  I liked my music but it did not come close to what I heard at Audio Stores.  So I began researching and buying components that fit my pocket book and that I believed would give me a quantum leap in listening experience.  The Bottlehead projects provided that path for components and I currently am enjoying my Eros and BeePre components.  The VPI also was fairly priced (I bought a MKIII) and had a number of serious upgrades (which I have done) that really put this TT in a whole new category. 

So, I would recommend invest modestly, listen and if you like what you hear but are not completely satisfied, upgrade.  There are a lot of used alternatives and kits (like Bottlehead) that provide real quality for a reasonable price. 

Good luck.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline aragorn723

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 11:56:12 AM
Makes sense..  Since this is my first turntable, I can probably buy that at some point and use the sony as a preamp, then later upgrade to a reduction.  Thanks,

Dave