Old school

tsingle999 · 3102

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
on: June 06, 2015, 10:37:26 AM
I grew up with pioneer pax drivers (made for diy market in 60's) in my home thanks to a japanese scientist who was into diy audio and sold his work system to my dad. We had the pax coaxials in a large box. I couldnt believe they could sound so goid with just a single driver. ( i couldnt tell they were coaxial cuz of the fancy  lime green burlap that covered the front of the driver.) any it matched with a pp tube receiver.
Anyway i saw a similar pair of pioneer pax 10" drivers on ebay in great condition. Bought a pair of hawthorne audios my first baffles. Didnt really think these would touch my abbys with esr drivers.
Wow they sound amazing. A little more snap then the abbys. Not fully finished comparing the two but these are special. Total cost $300. Oh plus the blumenstein subs too tho.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 12:02:20 PM
Nice! I wouldn't mind seeing the magnet structure on the back if you get a chance. This reminds me of my dads "hifi" down in the basement when I was a kid. Basically a large box with an 18" woofer, 5" midrange and some type of horn tweeter. The box had a hinged lid that you would lift to get to the built in turntable and amp. I don't know too much about the amplifier but it had a few tubes in it that you could see from the back.

BTW When are you going to install the lime green burlap speaker covers on your open baffles?  ;)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 02:02:49 AM
Taran,

I am wondering about the wings (feet) being in front of the speaker. It is bound to affect the sound.  But could be removed and the back legs (feet) weighted so it is stable.

Truth is, I just worry about anything in front of speakers that close to them.  Listeners in front of the speakers is always a good thing.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:19:53 AM
A sound-absorbent bolster stuffed between the wings would be an easy and inexpensive experiment.

Paul Joppa

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 02:32:42 PM
Hehe the lime green burlap is unobtanium! Thank god!
Thanks for the tips guys. I took the baffles in to enlarge the hole a mm so the driver fit in all the way and had him cut off the front part of the legs while he was at it. Never tried the sound damping though pj. My understanding is the hardwood floor acts as a continuation of the baffle so you can use a small baffle.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

4krow

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 01:36:28 AM
  That's got to be a real kick to find something from the past like that.  Never looked at the Pioneer insignia closely before, but now I see that it is a tuning fork separating an omega. What an ingenious mark.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 02:41:45 AM
I secretly long for a set of Pioneer or Sansui "Kabuki" speakers for playing BS&T, Chicago, Three Dog Night ETC.