Omega and Blumenstein

rebbi · 3630

Offline rebbi

on: July 13, 2015, 03:40:45 AM
Hi, Folks,
I'm wondering if any of you have listened to both Blumenstein and Omega single-driver speakers and can comment on the differences in "house sound," if you will. I know that this is a somewhat vaguely worded question because there are lots of different models and vintages of those two lines, but I might still find the comparison useful. I'd be especially interested in impressions of recent or currently available models.
I am not trying to start a flame war over "best" speaker, which is why I've avoided using the word "vs." in the subject.  ;)
I have a 300B amp.
Thanks!

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 05:12:30 AM
Well, I have had both in my system, first the Omega Super 5's, to which I later added the RS5 driver. These are now in the pottery studio where I listen when I am working. The living room system, which consists of all Custom BH electronics, is driving a pair of Blumenstein Orcas and BUF Subs. It is a bit unfair to compare the two systems, as they have vastly different sources and amps driving them. However, I can say that I am very pleased with the near-miracles that Clark has wrought with his speakers. I had tried the Super5's with my big Focal 10" subs, and I decided that the Blumenstein combo presented a more integrated soundscape. Again, not a fair comparo, as Omega subs would have provided a much fairer listen. When it comes to single driver systems, integration is really important, and in my 14.5'x18.5' room driven by a 2A3 amp, the Blumenstein system shines in a quietly spectacular way, even playing a late Mahler symphony. Your 300B amp should do a fine job with its extra headroom. Clark uses BH 300B's.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline rebbi

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:39:21 AM
Hank,
Thanks so much.
How would you compare the high end of the two, especially on the smooth-to-rough spectrum?

Offline Hank Murrow

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:43:26 AM
Well, I have had both in my system, first the Omega Super 5's, to which I later added the RS5 driver. These are now in the pottery studio where I listen when I am working. The living room system, which consists of all Custom BH electronics, is driving a pair of Blumenstein Orcas and BUF Subs. It is a bit unfair to compare the two systems, as they have vastly different sources and amps driving them. However, I can say that I am very pleased with the near-miracles that Clark has wrought with his speakers. I had tried the Super5's in my main system with my big Focal 10" subs, and I decided that the Blumenstein combo presented a more integrated soundscape. Again, not a fair comparo, as Omega subs would have provided a much fairer listen. When it comes to single driver systems, integration is really important, and in my 14.5'x18.5' room driven by the BH 2A3 amp, the Blumenstein system shines in a quietly spectacular way, even playing a late Mahler symphony. Your 300B amp should do a fine job with its extra headroom. Clark uses BH Paramount 300B's.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Hank Murrow

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:01:28 AM
Dear Rebbi;

I would say they are similar, yet perhaps the Orcas have more extension. I am 76, and wear hearing aids for both home listening and concert hall, so my comments cannot compare with the younger listeners' remarks. My aids have four programs, of which one eliminates compression, while contouring frequency response, and I listen that way both at home and in the concert hall. Our concert hall here in Eugene is Silva Hall, and I find that orchestral fortés are believably rendered in that space(and in my head). On really big works, my 2A3 amp begins to run out of steam occasionally in my moderately-sized room, so I turn it down a couple of clicks on the TVC's and all is good.

As you can see from the pics I posted, my turntable and BH Phonostage are in an adjacent room for isolation, and nothing from the main system finds it way into the playing of discs_____ silence is the background between music measures. I call this my "Final Music System", and the addition of the BH DAC has confirmed that there is very little I desire beyond this_____ save more music, analog&digital. I did buy a nice condenser mike and power supply, so I can sing along____ there is nothing better for ear training!

Cheers from Eugene, Hank

Offline rbc3

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 06:10:24 PM
I have a pair of Omega Hemptone Compact 8 with stands.  They have a very nice and expansive midrange.  The highs aren't terribly crisp and they don't have much low end to speak of.  They really need a good subwoofer and possibly some tweeters to get a full range out of them.  I rolled 300Bs in my Paramounts and found the Sophia mesh plates to bring out the best in them, esp. on the high end.

I haven't heard Blumenstein or other Omega that are in current production.  I can't say enough about my Tekton Design Seas Pendragons paired with the Paramounts.  Pretty much any 300B tubes sound fantastic with them.  Probably my favorites are my 90's stock KR and Svetlana Winged C though.

-Robert

Robert C

Paramount 1.1 300B, Tekton Design Seas Pendragon, Stereomour 2A3, Omega Hemptone 8, Acoustic Signature Challenger Mk3, JMW 9T, Dynavector XX2mkII, Clearaudio Balance, Quickie 1.1, Schiit Bifrost Uber, Mainline, Audeze LCD2.2, AKG K1000, HiFiman HE-500, Sennheiser HD650, AK120