Tode Amp

MCurtis846 · 4439

Offline MCurtis846

on: June 02, 2015, 02:07:17 PM
My tode amp picks up radio stations when used at my son's apartment in Buffalo.  This does not happen at my home on Long Island.  Any suggestions?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:15:03 PM
Not sure if you got the answer I sent to your email about this yesterday. The Tode input stage is very sensitive, and if the pickup or cable is picking up RFI the amp will indeed amplify it. A very well shielded cable and shielding foil in the pickup cavities should help, if they are not already in place.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline MCurtis846

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:17:02 AM
Hi Doc.  Thanks very much for your reply.  The amp will pick up a radio signal when just the cable without the guitar is plugged in, so I suspect it is a cable problem.  I have ordered a new, high quality shielded cable to try.  If that doesn't work, I will try shielding the pickups and pick plate on the guitar.  I'll let you know how I make out.  Otherwise, the amp is simply amazing!!!!!!   Thanks for the wonderful design!

Offline TubeTim

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:32:41 PM
Sorry I am late to the party....

I have a Tode that I was originally going to build then sell (enjoy making the kits!).  I tried it using it on a amateur radio piece of gear that required an amplified speaker.  It sounded so good decided to hang on to it.  Needless to say, it' in a strong RF field and was experiencing RFI.  A good shielded cable with all metal plugs helped.  A couple of Mix-31 ferrite snap on split beads did the job.  RF was travelling down the outside of the cable and into the Tode. This is not unusual occurrence.

Best Regards,

Tim

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 05:20:15 PM
The OP solved the issue with a small filter box that had a phone jack input for a guitar cable and a short guitar cable to the amp. Inside the box is a 100 ohm series resistor in the hot leg and, IIRC, a 220pF cap from hot to ground. That could probably be installed in the amp very easily.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.