Playstation 1 who's got one or modded one?

JamieMcC · 3227

Offline JamieMcC

on: September 11, 2015, 05:25:27 AM
So I was in my parents attic looking for some bags of baby stuff that had been put away (new baby due any day now) and I found my 20 year old Playstation 1 which was a original SCPH - 1002 model. I have hunted hi and low for this in the past and had always  thought it had gone to the tip when I moved overseas and my folks have moved house a couple of times since. But there it was!  I soon forgot about hunting for bags of baby stuff and headed back home to hook it up and see what its like for audio. 

Just wondered if any one else is using one how they like it and have they tried any modifications which ones etc? There must be a few Bottleheads out there who have tinkered with one.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Chris

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:13:39 AM
Tell us what you heard......

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:58:30 AM
Well I have had it running since this morning 10 hrs or so and have only really in the last hour been able to sit down for a proper listen. I have been curious about using it for audio for some time there was a bit of a fuss and hype about the PS1 a few years back but I could never find the damn thing to give it a try.  While I really cant say how it compares to modern budget gear its definitely on par if not better than some of my old budget hifi separates gear that I started out with and still have Denon and Yamaha cd players of similar age. I don't think its going to worry any of todays mid fi or hi end options but it does sound pleasant enough and is easy to listen to. For the price they can be found would offer a lot of bang for your buck and reasonable performance on a shoestring if you don't mind a lack of features from a user interface point of view.

I have it hooked up to the Mainline and HD800 and its not at the level I am used to with my current midfi ish Marantz's dac.
Its not the most resolving of players but what it can do is ok and would probably be a decent enough option if your on  a budget and wanted a clean, smooth and airy sounding cd player and would  probably make a ok pairing with the Crack and HD650's

I really haven't listened to a wide range of music just a few tracks so far.  So going to dig out the cd's and do some more listening. Its funny how using cds once again is a bit of a novelty after getting used a desk top pc Nas set up for a few years and only ever burning a cd to file.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:03:11 AM by JamieMcC »

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 11:46:28 AM
Hi Jamie!
Ive got a modded PS1.
Its got improved PSU, output stage caps and so.
Sounds sweet and isnt even an SCPH-1002.

Lots of great mods available.
Notable are these http://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html
And deutschermanfred.de

Lots more out there

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 11:52:00 AM

Home system:

Office:

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:59:48 AM
Oh great thanks for those links. I just knew there would be someone here who had one. Did you ever try a un modified one for comparison against your one?

Edit the diyaudio PS1 thread is 296 pages  :o
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:03:40 PM by JamieMcC »

Offline Chris

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 01:41:41 PM
Thanks for that.. Yeah years ago, I believe it was stereophile? who actually went a little nuts with its lofty praise of the first edition playstation... I have heard a $5,000 "Dynastation" it was called that used the basic optical guts and dac chip in the playstation but with a tubed power supply and output stage ( I believe).. In fact, at canuck audio mart, there is a dynastation for sale for 2K with the following description...

"Anyone who has listened to the DynaStation I and has heard its ability
to outperform $15,000 reference players could never imagine improvement
would be possible. Well it is and the Dynastation II is the proof.
The rare NOS-tubes of the legendary R-Series from Telefunken catapult
the sound of the DynaStation into never before reached spheres.

The proven 32bit DSP of the DynaStation II guarantees the highest
computing power for the D/A-conversion.
The utimate union of the best of the old with the best of the new into
a timeless piece that spans the generations.

Offline Chris

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 01:43:27 PM
So there you go, hop yours up with some tubes and sell it for some big bucks...  8)   

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 06:08:40 PM
Oh great thanks for those links. I just knew there would be someone here who had one. Did you ever try a un modified one for comparison against your one?

Edit the diyaudio PS1 thread is 296 pages  :o

Well, I didn't have the time yet for a comparison. I have, the last month, procured an SCPH-1002 for modding purposes as well as an actual japanese first, the SCPH-1000.

It would be interesting building a linear PSU,  adding some film caps...
Upgrading the OpAmp... Wholesome DIY fun:)

Home system:

Office:

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 01:52:08 AM
You can also try bypassing the opamp stage. I think it can be done (for the first serie) by using the proprietary a/v output. There are a lot of adaptors on ebay from Sony A/V to standard RCA you can use to this purpose.

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 03:14:36 AM
Yes, many possibilities. A great, cheap, DIY sandbox:)

Home system:

Office:

Offline Cary

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 07:29:09 AM
My Playstation 1 is connected to my Quickie/Quicksand combo to a pair of Braun Output C speakers. It has a nice quality of sound to it, the highs roll off nicely. The Playstation is unmodified, I look at it as inexpensive fun.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 09:08:20 PM
First, make sure it is the model with audio RCA outputs on the unit itself. More recent versions had a common cable with the connectors splitting off that cable, those are not the "holy grail"  versions.  I believe that the "magic" is in all the crappyness in the unit as a whole, warmer tones, less digital sounding,etc. In those threads mentioned, changing the output amps makes it all go away. Once you take out the opamps etc you may as well just play with a better component,because the transport and decoding systems are marginal at best (however the mechanics are very robust, think of all the abuse a PS1 had to endure) I think I bought 5 from thrift shops and mod-ed all of them.(easy, remove some smd components, bypass the output stage (wire the RCA jack directly to the output chip using caps (3.3uf)) Of those five or so, one sounds really good, I even used Auricaps which hang out the back of the unit. It was a fun little project with lots of experimenting (switching power supplies, transports,etc to find the best sounding combo). Honestly its sitting somewhere hardly ever used, but it was fun playing around them.
BTW one of the units I bought at a pawn shop had a return address label in it, which makes me believe it may have belonged to a somewhat popular county singer.

Offline Chris

Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 06:58:25 AM
I believe that the "special" plastic chassis resonated at a "predetermined" frequency thus cancelling out all jitter and distortion..... :P   But, there could be something said to the extra robustness that the opticals had to have to endure the endless "punishment"....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:21:45 AM by Chris »

Offline STURMJ

Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 12:35:37 PM
Ha ha ;D but really, they used different chip sets apart from the differnce in connector location