Speedball LED issues [resolved]

antjuneau · 4013

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 10:50:59 AM
A couple of things:

1.  You used the self-tapping #8 screw for the ground connection instead of the other #8 screw provided.  If it hasn't gobbled up the threads on that nut, it shouldn't be the end of the world, but it must have been tough to get the nut to go on well.

2.  You are missing a nut on one of your power transformer screws.  If you're out of screw thread, double check that the insulating washers are all oriented properly (this is a common mistake).

3.  You have a 220uF 250V capacitor in backwards.  This is creating a short, which is burning up the 270 Ohm resistor that looks cooked.  You can try flipping the cap around to be oriented properly, but you may need to replace it.

Hope this helps.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline grausch

Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 10:52:17 PM
Looking at the 4th photo you posted, it looks like both the nylon shoulder washers (white) and the fiber shoulder washers (black) are on the bottom of your plate, i.e. between the top plate and terminal strip. If you look at page 14 of the manual, you should place the white washers between the transformer and the top plate, and the black washers between the top plate and the terminal strip.

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack
Modded Stereomour with Two-tone Orcas

Offline antjuneau

Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 05:04:03 PM
Thanks guys ---^.

Not sure how I messed these things up, I normally pay pretty close attention to detail. As for the washers, I don't want to mess with those unless you think they'll cause grounding issues... what do  you think?

As for the capacitor, I will go ahead and order a new one since I need a new 5W resistor anyway. I'll make sure to orient it properly this time.

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 06:33:10 PM
You are not grounding the strips with the washers in the way

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 11:22:00 AM
As for the washers, I don't want to mess with those unless you think they'll cause grounding issues... what do  you think?
This is very important.  Take the time to fix it.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline antjuneau

Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 11:40:11 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! I made the adjustments you all recommended and now she works.

However I just upgraded the amp with the Speedball and I'm having another issue. All of the LEDs are lighting up except for the one that connects A8 to the centerpin. I'm getting audio through the left channel but silence in the right. Also, the voltage across the A3-to-centerpin LED is 1.5 V whereas the voltage across the A8-to-centerpin LED is 12 V. Any ideas on what the problem could be?