500V okay for the 0.010 uF and 0.030 uF film caps?

tpatton · 9218

Offline tpatton

There are some Russian Teflon caps (not FT-3's) I could use for the 0.010 uF and 0.030 uF film caps positions in the Eros.  Would that rating be high enough for them to be safe?  Thanks for advice on this.  I don't yet have the Eros circuit diagram, but even if I did, I'd still need to ask, given my circuitry ignorance.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:37:47 AM
500 volts is fine; 400v is probably acceptable - I haven't checked the transient peak voltage in the turn-on cycle though.

The important thing is to get precision values. We have tried to get 2% parts, but parts availability sometimes causes different types to get substituted. Note that you could parallel three 0.01uF to get the 0.03uF; sometimes precision parts are only available in a small number of values but we thought 0.01uF would likely be one of them.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:15:14 AM
Very happy information Paul!  A compulsive like me can buy a hand full and measure and match caps.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:10 AM
The FT3's will be incredibly difficult to squeeze in there. I'd go for something out of the PCX catalog with reasonable dimensions.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tpatton

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:55:35 AM
Thanks everyone.  Paul B, I wasn't getting FT-3's as the .01 uF caps, as my post stated.  Still, the other Russian caps look fairly large too.  PcX will match caps for $1 a pair, might be worth it.  I'll go into options when I get around to building the Eros, which I'm not doing yet for a couple of reasons, the nicest being that I don't want to be through building Bottlehead kits and no other options look even halfway sane.  (With six phono preamps on hand, wanting to sell none, is even an Eros at all sane?  Doubtless not, but anyway. . . .