Eros Troubleshoot went quiet [resolved]

scotts · 2271

Offline scotts

on: September 14, 2015, 11:06:17 AM
Hello,

My Eros has been working beautifully for 9 months. This morning I went to power it up and nothing. Fuse is good. Tubes don't glow. D1 LEDs on Shunt Regulator don't glow. 0 volts at 6.3vDC on Power Supply board.

What should I check next?

Thanks in advance.
Scott
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:05:46 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline scotts

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:08:11 PM
A
Kreg 0
OB 216
bA 0
breg 0
OA 310
IA 312

B
Kreg 0
OB 218
bA 0
breg 0
OA 311
IA 313

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:00:01 AM
You don't have voltages listed for IB.  Are your tubes glowing?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline scotts

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:02:58 AM
1B - 318

The tubes do not glow.

Offline scotts

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:48:53 AM
Pins 4 & 5 - 9.7V

Page 45 checks:

270 K ohm resistor - 321V

+pad - .4V

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:13:07 AM
What DC voltage do you get at the diode leads circled in red?  (They are connected together, measuring either one will work)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline scotts

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:34:05 AM
0.5V DC

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 12:05:07 PM
Well, that's a problem.  I would resolder all those diodes.  Are you 100% sure that the little yellow caps aren't in backwards on the power supply board?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline scotts

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 12:28:53 PM
Thanks. I'll check. I've used the Eros 3-4 times a week for 9 months, so if they were in backwards would it work for 9 months then just die? 

Offline scotts

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 12:52:48 PM
Caps were correctly installed.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 02:07:48 PM
Try resoldering the diodes.  If you have AC coming in, but not DC coming out, then that tends to suggest a short.  This will heat those diodes up nice and hot, and the board should start to turn a little brown as a consequence.

If there's a loose or flaky connection, then you would get the same symptoms w/o charring.

You're also welcome to stop by the office with your Eros (I don't recommend walking in though, the weather has been weird lately).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline scotts

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 11:08:16 AM
I had mixed success resoldering. The voltage measured correctly after I resoldered. All LED’s were glowing; so I played an album and it worked. Success – or so I thought. The next day the Eros did not work. Nothing.

Rather than continue to blindly troubleshoot the issue, which seemed more involved than my skill set, I decided to take up Paul’s offer to stop by Bottlehead. I am fortunate that Bottlehead is only a couple miles away. Paul decided to put it on the bench rather than just provide me with parts. He noticed a few of my solder joints on the power supply were flakey. He explained how over time those joints could affect the operation and why the pre may not be working. Paul replaced a couple damaged parts, remeasured, but decided there were more unknowns causing the pre to behave unpredictably so it would be better in the long run and less time consuming to rebuild the shunt regulator ps board. It was awe inspiring to see someone that proficient at his craft build a board. While I’ll never get to his skill level, I now have a better understanding of proper building techniques, which will carry over to my next Bottlehead kit. I got the Eros home and it is again musical magic. Many thanks to Paul, Doc, Eileen and everyone at Bottlehead. The level of support from them is without equal. Truly a first class operation!

As a first time builder, I expected this kit to be a learning experience and that maybe there would be some issues. The Eros is a challenging kit for a novice, but with patience, the well written instruction manual, guidance from the forums and support from Bottlehead, I was able to build a really nice sounding phono preamp that meets my requirements and IMO exceeds many phono pre’s that are far more costly. It worked beautifully for nine months. The problems I recently encountered were most likely from my fundamental building mistakes, which I have since learned how to correct. I look forward to building more Bottlehead kits. Thanks to all on this forum for your guidance.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 02:53:18 PM
Super! We don't always get to hear how something came out, but we always enjoy hearing if it's good, and are glad of the opportunity to fix it if not. Thanks for posting!

Paul Joppa