New Eros build - funky noise

deepcmd · 1673

Offline deepcmd

on: October 03, 2015, 07:31:57 PM
I just finished my kit and it sounds great, but there is a 10Hz or so clicking noise that you can hear when nothing is playing.  There is also some random scratchy noises that I'm guessing from other posts is normal when breaking in new tubes?

Voltages are (Right/Left): IA 222.4/221.9, OA 165.2/170.5, breg 100/97.5, Kreg 1.24/1.07, OB 98.5/96, ba 0/0

I can see the heaters working on the 12BH7 and the 6922.  I can't see anything on the EF86s, and they don't get appreciably warm compared to the other tubes, but I read that the heaters aren't normally visible on these tubes and with the sound working well, I assumed they were functioning?

The only other thing that was a bit off was on resistance checks.  The manual says A4 and B4 will fluctuate in 10s or hundreds of Kohms and that C4 will be at infinity.  For me, A4, B4, and C4 all read out at .619K.  There was a past post that suggested this was okay.  http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=3379.0

Resistance at A6, B6, C1, C2, C6, and C7 all ran a bit high (around 20%).

There is one part that I worried about overheating during soldering, which was the 1uF cap between C4 and C5.  Wondering if that might be the culprit.  I re-wet it, but wasn't keen on tearing that tough connection apart until I asked first.

There is one other post where someone seems to have had the same problem (called it "motorboating", a term I couldn't quite bring myself to reuse, lol).  http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=2413.0 
It wasn't clear to me what ended up being the fix, but I checked the problems identified at the end of the post (resistors on 12BH7 and RCA input connections).  Didn't find problems with any of that, so I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks!
Robert Perkins
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:03:04 AM by deepcmd »

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:33:30 AM
Is that a cell phone in your pocket, or are you just happy to have vinyl?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline deepcmd

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 09:18:09 AM
Is that a cell phone in your pocket, or are you just happy to have vinyl?

Good thought, as my phone was in my pocket while I was setting it up.  The sound I am hearing is faster and not as "buzzy" as when cell phone signals drive a nearby speaker.  Also, it is continuous and not intermittent as the cell phone thing typically is.  To be sure, I ran it without my phone nearby and got the same continuous clicking sound, right around 10Hz.

Thanks,
Robert Perkins