Eros compared to zesto or herron vtph2

Analogluvr · 2257

Offline Analogluvr

on: November 05, 2015, 03:18:13 PM
Hi guys
I recently built a beepre with the bee quiet upgrade.  I absolutely love it and it kicked my vacuum state svp2 to the curb. I was eyeing up the Eros. Problem is I have a herron vtph2 and I love that too. Has anyone compared the 2 or failing that compared the Eros to the zesto?  I know the zesto quite well.
The fact that the Eros doesn't do MC is not a factor for me as I love my SUT.
I would expect to fully mod the Eros with caps and tubes and then hope I would prefer it to the herron. Am I dreaming?

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:27:56 PM
I have, but it is not a fair comparison.  The base Herron is almost 5 times more expensive than the base Eros.  The EROS is designed for MM and HOMC's.  If you are using LOMC's you will need a step up device for the EROS. (The EROS will work with some MOMC's and most HOMC's.)  The Herron is, IMO, focused on LO/MO MC's.   That being said, the Herron is a damn fine piece of kit.

So the comparison....I  was safekeeping the vinyl rig for a buddy who was relocating and did not want to put his audio kit into storage. So I had the Herron in house for about 3+ months.  He had, IMO, less than worthy tubes in the unit.  So I loaded it up with Siemens 12AX7's and a 12AT7. (ECC801S).  The improvement was not subtle.  The Herron is a hybrid design the first stage is FET.   It has a an overall transparent presentation, great timbre and imaging.  I run a LOMC that outputs 1.4mV.  The Herron handled it very well with a very low noise floor. That made for a blacker background and fine resolution.  Not really much to dislike, nor should there be at the price.  (Well maybe I DO dislike the price!!  ;) ) I did not care for the clunky, funky loading double RCA plugs.  I did not perceive them as a plus.  Simpler to just solder what you need in place.  But this is a high end commercial unit so, IMO, lots of bells and whistles added to the production cost that do not contribute to the sound quality.

My EROS has a modified PS, with DC Link film caps and a choke.  The cathode bypasses are Mundorf EVO Aluminum Oil,  the output caps are Russian KBG Aluminum Foil/PIO.  The tubes are Seimens EF86, Amperex 7308 and RCA 12BH7A.  The SUT is a home brew based on Hashimoto MH3 trannies. So the EROS/Hashi combo is probably just a little more than half the cost of the Herron with the pricey tubes that I put in.

My, and my buddy's, take?  They were close enough to call a draw over about three 2-3 hour listening sessions.  I would say that the Herron is slightly more refined and gave a bit deeper sound stage on a very few well recorded orchestral albums.  For Blues, Jazz, vocals and chamber pieces a draw.

So, again, in my case I cannot make a direct comparison with my Eros to the Herron.  But I could definitely come up with better ways to spend the extra two grand!!!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:53:58 AM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 04:52:34 PM
Very helpful thank you!  That is exactly my point, if I can build something that would equal the Herron so I can sell it I would be about 1k to the good. Plus I like the idea of having stuff I built.
My SUT is a parks budgie with cinemags, wonder how that would compare to the hashimotos?  Gut tells me the hashies are better but no real basis for that just instinct.
Thanks for your response, keep them coming if there's any more.