Crack started buzzing

Colin · 1551

Offline Colin

on: October 12, 2015, 05:50:57 PM
This is my first crack problem. After i replace some parts; neutrik locking jack, alps, 3 transformer caps with panasonic, all resistor with kiwame except 2pcs mills(not install speedball yet), all with tcss except rca pot to potentiometer with silver-gold 22awg 4braids(add another on the ground) and bypass the input caps(stock) with jensen 0.33uf.
After finished this, the amp sound was very good but has a smell(smoke) on first minute, maybe first hour. But didn't impact with sound quality. After running over 5 hours, i got my crack has buzz sound.
Iam already try to changes the tube(boths), change another headphones and re-take the bypass caps is still buzzing. The buzz sound is come from amp(already analyze) because it still buzz when crack-headphone(not connect source).

Anyone have a similar problem before?

Thank you,

Colin

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 06:13:54 PM
Your best bet would have been to change one thing at a time and test. It might be best to take it back to stock, make sure it works properly again, and then start to make the changes one at a time, testing things after each change. There should be no smoke smell, that is not OK. Possibly you installed a capacitor backwards, but with so many changes it could also be a miswire.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:05:26 AM
Anyone have a similar problem before?
Measure your voltages.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man