The Best Ever Sounding Crack!

adydula · 1293

Offline adydula

on: September 05, 2019, 08:42:27 AM
Hey guys and gals....

Not many things get me excited in this hobby of listeing with headphones and dacs and amps....

The Crack I have is pretty much stock except for replacing the pot with a "real" ALPS pot for better tracking on the low end...that said...

I have not mucked with caps, the Cree diodes or chokes....running a RCA 6AS7G with a 5963 12 AU7 tube...using a set of Beyer T1.s (2nd gen) and HD 600's.

Always works and sounds pretty good, and my Mainline does as well, but this me sharing one of those neat experiences where I at 70 yrs old can hear a
notice-able difference to what I am hearing in a positive direction.

The DAC I use is a Schitt Bifrost dac...with their Multibit implementaion. There are three input choices, USB and SPDIF and Optical. Testing here with these inputs
didnt really impress me with any one of them being much better than the other. So the USB won out due to the synergy using a PC with no digital outputs and not
wanting another dongle, box or cables to muck with.

This is with Schitt's gen 2 USB, along comes their "isolate" Gen 5 usb about a year later for this dac (and others) but again ..ho-hum...

Now they just announced some new stuff, wont go into them here...but they did announced their "endgame" for USB and call it Unison...it their in house USB inplementation
that one of the old farts their, Mike Moffat likes more than his beloved SPDIF...

So I was hoping to try this new USB interface out, but so far until W7 support is officially over from Microsoft in Jan 2020, you cant get this USB upgrade for older 1st gen dacs....only with their
new ly announced stuff...

So I asked and was sent a beta board for my original Bifrost and its like "magic".

I have been listening with it via the Crack and Mainline...and I have Never heard music with such clarity and openess..its truly holographic.

I have waxed on this at other sites you can search for...and I am not trying to get you to buy other vendors products vs Bottlehead...quite the contrary....seeing how thier is no BH DAC or USB
interface I just wanted to share something I have stumbled upon that make my Crack and Mainline sound like a "millon" bucks IMO...

All the best
Alex

Deke609

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 09:17:57 AM
Cool! I've got the Yggy 2. Any word on release date for the final version?

cheers and thanks, Derek

Offline adydula

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 09:45:20 AM
I honestly do not know the plans for your yggy. From what I have read, sometime in Jan 2020 timeframd their "will" be update "cards" available....at least for Bifrost 1, Schitt does speak to all of its upgradeable dacs will get this eventually. Eventually was the exact word they used..

Alex

Deke609

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:21:24 AM
Thanks Alex - I'll start watching the Schiit threads on Head*Fi in the new year.

Offline Jimb0

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 02:45:05 PM
Hey Alex. Thanks for the recommendation. I was in the hunt for a new DAC to upgrade from my Modi Multibit I must say, after reading your post and reading a bit more on the DAC I went ahead and pulled the trigger. If this is as good as you say it is then maybe I will stop craving for better sound, at least for a longer period of time. I will let you know my impressions when I get it :)

James

Offline adydula

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 02:50:42 AM
James,

Best of luck with the Bifrost 2, it has the Unison USB interface, its laid out differently than the beta board I have in the Bifrost "1"...but it should be exactly the same IMO. It was a startling difference to me hear....

The best pairing with my HD600's and T1's has been with this DAC and the Crack w speedball. I even like it a bit more than the Mainline....something about its "euphonic" musical presentation.

Eerie lifelike and good!

Alex