Dual choke on crack

Tom-s · 6307

Offline Tom-s

on: November 06, 2015, 12:34:21 PM
For the power supply i'm planning on replacing both 270 Ohm resistors with Triad C-7X choke's.
But because of the limited space i'm thinking of placing both of them next to the transformer hosing on top of base plate.
Would this be a problem? This way i'd have more space for caps and diode upgrades on the power supply.
How dangerous is it to have these on top?
They would sit very close to the on/off switch.
Could any others show pictures of how you implemented 2 chokes in the crack?

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 06:00:09 PM
I don't believe that they will physically fit.

If you can get them to fit, be sure to use a rubber grommet where the wires pass through the chassis plate.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tom-s

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 10:38:32 PM
Thank you for the reply PB.

I'm just about sure the two of them won't fit under the hood. Surely not leaving enough space for caps and other upgrades on de PS. Although i've read that with 2 chokes i could get away with smaller caps. Any recommendations on these sizes?*

Edit*: Also saw another reply where one of you guys stated it to be best that the last film cap is about the size or bigger than the output caps.

That's why i thought about placing them on top of crack. But then you have electrical parts open to the exterior.
What is the danger in having these on top? Is there constantly 250V+ 90mA open to the touch?
On S.E.X. there's chokes on top. Why aren't these a potential voltage hazard?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:10:46 PM by Tom-s »

Offline Tom-s

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 03:43:39 AM
That would be a bit drastic.
It's more easy to build a new wooden case that gives more space under the hood while using the same alloy base plate.
I didn't think of the magnetic interference with those 2 chokes.
I was planning on mounting them on top of crack in the same manner as done on the S.E.X. kits.
Why isn't this a problem on S.E.X.?
Only detail on crack is that because of the on/off switch they'd be both mounted a bit more to the front.

(Sorry if i ask novice questions, but like a lot of guys on here, it all started with the crack :) )

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 04:34:34 AM
If it were me I'd wire them off to the side and listen test to see if it was worth the effort of physically mounting them. There may or may not be that much sonic gain in adding the chokes.

There just isn't a lot of room to work with in the Crack kit. The Crack-a-two-a solves that issue.

Keep us posted.

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 06:56:54 AM
 I believe that you are wasting your time and money, but I respect that it is your time and money to waste.  I do not believe that the second choke has any sonic benefit (I have already tried this).  But, this is coming from one who is always trying to improve the sound by throwing money at a project, but for me it is personally rewarding (I enjoy throwing away my children's inheritance).   

Putting money into better (i.e. usually more expensive) output caps is the more logical and productive approach.  Like a lot of the individuals on this Forum I am sure that I would have saved a lot of money by originally purchasing the Mainline, but the Mainline and Crack-a-two-a were not in production when I purchased my first Crack, and I do enjoy the OTL sound.  ;D

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Tom-s

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 09:35:10 AM
This was the reply i was looking for. Someone who actually tried it.
I know there's not much to gain with the second choke. I've read that with a second choke it to be possible to lower the capacitance of the PS caps even more than with just one choke.
So via this route i hoped to get more sonic gain from a better film cap (with or without bypass) on the last PS cap and have more room to fit better (bigger/better electrolytic, or small film caps) for the other PS caps.

Anyone else who tried 2 chokes?

Could someone please measure the Triad C-7x choke for me? I found a few measurements on the Triad website but i don't have the exact width of the silver center and the extension of the coil to each side of this silver part. Thanks in advance. With these i'd know if it actually fits. The space to mount them between PT and edge is only 38mm's and then there's the heat shrink tube that goes over it for safety and electrical insulation from the PT.

Thanks guys for all the feedback! It really helps a lot.
And about the money eating and time wasting thing that gives you joy. That's what i'd call a good hobby! :D

Oh and Lee; your builds are awesome! Love the woodwork!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:36:57 AM by Tom-s »

Offline richmi

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 12:04:20 PM
Hello,

I think it might be possible to fit two Triad C-7x chokes under the Crack chassis. One would be located in the back of the Crack where a lot of builders put it. The other one could be mounted on nylon standoffs above (as seen when the Crack is turned upside-down) the headphone jack. This way, both chokes would be turned 90º relative to each other. You would only have to twist the chokes wires together and solder them at the proper terminals. And then, you have to run a wire from the choke's case to the safety ground tab near the power entry module.

Perhaps that would be locating it too close to the small tube and it could interfere with it, I do not know.

(Standoffs here if you have problems finding some: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10x-Nylon-Standoff-Spacer-M4-Female-x-M4-Female-25mm-/251232421895?hash=item3a7e9e8807:g:ElgAAMXQySpRJPOH

This seller has screws too.)

Bypassing the last capacitor in the power supply with a good film cap made a noticeable difference at a smaller cost than that of a 220uf 250 volt cap if you really run out of space.

Here is a photo of my Crack with a few changes, notably the addition of a choke and two large film output capacitors so you get an idea of how much room is left.

Richard

Richard Milette
Seduction C4S
Extended Foreplay III (converted to 6SN7 Nov. 2011)
Paramount 300Bs
Crack (6SN7) + Speedball + HD650

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 01:09:34 PM
The C7-X is about 1.75 inches wide - the core is a 1.0" stack, with 0.375" bobbin flanges each side.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:39:15 PM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline Tom-s

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 07:29:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies. For placing a pair of them inside the crack. I might place one above the Cree diodes board and the other on the back like others do.

So top mount would be impossible. Because of the 38mm that's needed and they measure 38mm (1.5") by themselves for the part that needs to go on the alloy plate without the protective heat shrink sleeve.

Offline BNAL

Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 05:23:57 AM
I installed 2 chokes in my Crack. It was tight, but fit.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:27:25 AM by BNAL »

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Tom-s

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 08:23:44 AM
And? Did it make an audible difference, the second choke?
No magnetic interference with this setup?

Two chokes should be oriented at 90 degrees from each other because of the magnetic field they radiate. 

Meaning that one should be in the horizontal plane and the other in the vertical plane?
Both in the vertical plane with a 90 degree angle between them wouldn't help?
So my other placement, mentioned above, is incorrect?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:34:18 AM by Tom-s »

Offline BNAL

Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 09:26:16 AM
It did not cause noise in the circuit and do not think that there was a sonic benefit. The one choke and especially the film bypass cap on the last electrolytic improved the sound IMO. 

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 09:28:24 AM
You could also get a Crack-a-two-a instead.  It's power supply will outperform any modifications that can be done to a stock Crack.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tom-s

Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 09:56:56 AM
Thanks for the reply.
So,  this about concludes putting multiple chokes in or on crack. It's just too much for the small amp and gives no sonic benefit.
Will go with just one choke, cree diodes rectifier and possibly an 220uf 250v Ansar film cap.