Isolating electronics

Analogluvr · 4167

Offline Chris65

Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 01:52:13 PM
I have used NOS 6A3 (Tung-Sol, GE, Sylvania) with no changes, filaments measured 6.0V to 6.2V.

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 01:59:01 PM
Tried the lead rings and there is a huge improvement!!  I had the Teflon rings and they did virtually nothing. Just a suggestion but maybe the powers that be at bottlehead  could source a sack of these and sell them as an optio. With the Beepre. With a few dollar premium of course :)  I would consider these a necessity.
Has anybody used them on their power amps?  I'm wondering if the greater heat might melt the vinyl?  I wonder how they would fare on the 845s as well?  They kick out some serious heat!
Your feedback is appreciated! 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 04:21:27 PM
Tried the lead rings and there is a huge improvement!!  I had the Teflon rings and they did virtually nothing. Just a suggestion but maybe the powers that be at bottlehead  could source a sack of these and sell them as an optio. With the Beepre. With a few dollar premium of course :)  I would consider these a necessity.

I tried to get some from the manufacturer but they wanted me to be a government agency or a university. There are knockoffs from China now that work fine. So if we did manage to buy enough to get some kind of price break, the next day some guy would say he found them cheaper on ebay and we would be stuck with a big pile of lead. Do try both the lead and the Herbies together. I found the Herbies take a little extra HF ringing away that the lead seems to miss. Even a bit better than one lead ring is two stacked up, which is what I use these days.

Has anybody used them on their power amps?  I'm wondering if the greater heat might melt the vinyl?  I wonder how they would fare on the 845s as well?  They kick out some serious heat!

They will melt, burn and stink. But if that is acceptable and your fire insurance is paid up, I don't see any other issues.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kip.duff

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 10:30:31 AM
I wanna get "those rings" for my BeePre, but I couldn't find a model number.  Does someone have specific model, size, and source (BelArt?) info for the coated lead rings?  I'll be using 300B's or 6A3's.  I've already found and ordered the Isonode feet thanks to this thread.  Thanks, Kip..........

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 07:43:14 AM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kip.duff

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 02:39:21 AM

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 03:00:44 PM
So with the lead rings and the 6A3s the microphonics went waay down. Then I went and got much more efficient Tannoys so they became more of an issue again. I'm looking to a attenuate the output of the pre. Can I not put in a pair of resistors inline between the pre and the amp? If so what values?  The loudest I ever listen right now is with the coarse on the third click and the fine all the way up. So basically just over half.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 07:11:35 PM
The best place (IMHO) for the attenuation is in the power amp at its input. Can you, or would you be willing to, modify the power amp?

Paul Joppa

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 01:03:46 AM
Sure, I don't mind.

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 03:41:37 AM
So what size resistor should I use?

Offline ALL212

Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 04:42:48 AM

I used them on my Stereomour (2A3's) and did notice some stickiness/melting.  They did not stick to the tubes.  I put some aluminum foil on the inside of the ring and it works just fine.

Those Teflon things....bah!  throw them out...  I don't think compression does anything noticeable.  Mass!  Mass! Mass! 

Aaron Luebke