Something BIG is coming on Black Friday

Doc B. · 11418

Offline sl-15

Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 04:40:30 PM
That indeed is a very nice layout. Great work and congratulations to another kit. Could you tell me what the resistors are for that connect the speaker output to ground? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:25:39 AM by sl-15 »

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 11:28:46 PM
Nice layout, love the symmetry. I assume the OT-5's the largest output transformers to date?

M.McCandless

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 05:47:26 AM
That indeed is a very nice layout. Great work and congratulations to another kit. Could you tell me what the resistors are for that connect the speaker output to ground? Thanks.

That's something I suggested we experiment with a few years ago and liked. It's a balanced speaker output. Seems to tighten up the bass a bit in some situations.

Nice layout, love the symmetry. I assume the OT-5's the largest output transformers to date?

Yes. They new plate chokes and OTs add quite a bit of bass power handing compared to previous models.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline drewh1

Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:21 PM
They are level trims for each channel.  They can easily be bypassed, or one could pretty easily install input transformers and change the input jacks to XLR's, but there are so many situations where you want 12-20dB of padding at the input of an amplifier that we have insisted on including them with the stock amp.
Are there any issues with bypassing the trims?  I am not using a pre-amp so likely do not need to pad.  Does it change the input impedence?

thanks
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:49:21 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 11:49:56 AM
Are there any issues with bypassing the trims?  I am not using a pre-amp so likely do not need to pad.  Does it change the input impedence?

You can turn them all the way up, which is as effective as bypassing them.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man