Wood finish suggestions

adg · 4134

Offline adg

Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 05:48:04 PM
Hey everyone, and happy holidays!

I just finished my new Canarywood cabinet for my Crack. I made the cabinet half-an-inch taller than the stock cabinet to accommodate a slide-in screen and to allow for a couple more millimeters of clearance. I built the cabinet with the help of a coworker, and he did most of the woodworking for me. I liked the idea of putting in a screen, but I didn't have one with me, so we made it so I could add or remove a screen later. For a future cabinet, I'll have a screen with me and put it in permanently. Also, we spent about 90 minutes cutting and mitering the pieces of wood so they could be assembled showing one continuous piece of grain. When we finally assembled the pieces, the two sides got mixed up. It's too bad because the case looked awesome with continuous grain, but it still looks nice anyway, and both sides kind of mirror each other. The pieces were assembled using a joining machine for picture frames, so once the cabinet was assembled, it wasn't worth it to try to take the cabinet apart. Finally, I finished the cabinet with three coats of Tried & True Varnish Oil.

In addition to my new cabinet, I installed a metal top Neutrik audio jack, a vintage Elco tube protector, Blue Velvet potentiometer, and Kilo volume knob.

I'll probably live with this case for a couple of months while I plot my next one.

Aaron Goltz

Offline borism

Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 03:42:01 AM
Congratulations, a beautiful piece of wood and great workmanship plus finish!

Boris

Offline Dnorris

Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 06:45:52 AM
Aaron, nice work! That canarywood looks great, nice color. Be careful, that woodworking can become addictive!

Dale Norris

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 09:30:42 AM
Nice work it looks superb  8)

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!