Spark on Terminal 14 (voltage check) [resolved]

coolcat44 · 1139

Offline coolcat44

on: December 12, 2015, 04:00:04 PM
Hey guys,

I've been lurking around this forums for a while, and it's helped me a ton with assembling my Bottlehead Crack. That said, I'm currently stuck at the voltage check, and I have been unable to solve the problem I'm experiencing.

First off, I've double-checked wiring, and everything looks as it does in the manual with the exception of the black wire going from power transformer terminal 4 to 22L; I chose to follow the revision and instead connect this black wire to 14U.

For resistance checks, everything was as it should have been except for terminal 13. At terminal 13, the resistance seems to rise toward 270 K-ohm, as it should, but then upon reaching 200 K-ohm, the ohmmeter clears and starts searching for a reading instead of showing a continually rising resistance, and upon removing the red lead and reconnecting it to terminal 13, the ohmmeter shows a reading of around 1800 K-ohm, which starts to decrease. At about 800 K-ohm, the ohmmeter again clears and starts searching for a reading, and upon waiting and reconnecting, it starts rising from below 200 K-ohm again. This pattern repeats.

I was really confused by this, and rechecked wiring and resoldered any joints that looked a bit cold, and again, the reading was as above. I figured this may have been a weird thing with my ohmmeter, and that perhaps the readings WERE trying to stabilize at 270 K-ohm despite the ohmmeter not showing a reading actually settling at 270. As a result, I continued on to voltage checks. I should note that terminals that should be reading 0 ohms were reading about 0.4 ohms.

After powering up, the fuse didn't blow, and the tubes and red LED's lit as they should (tube glow was apparent within 5-10 seconds) and so I began checking voltages. Terminals 6 and 10 showed the first weird anomaly, where they fluctuated around 0 ohms (reading should have been 0 mV). The reading fluctuated between -10 and 18 mV. Then, when checking terminal 14, the moment my red lead touched the terminal pin, a loud bang sounded (sounded like a cap gun), and a bright spark shot out from the terminal. At this point, I disconnected the power source. By the way, the fuse was still intact.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm rather stumped as to what to try next :S. I guess it's worth noting that terminal 14U is rather crowded, and getting a soldering iron in there to properly melt all the soldering material was a bit tricky. Could a poor solder job lead to a spark like that?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:50:56 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 04:46:46 PM
Your red lead touched two terminals at once. Your resistance readings sound OK. Just use a little more care in touching the probes to the terminals.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline coolcat44

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 10:39:57 PM
Woo hoo! Thanks Doc!! You were spot on; after rechecking, all voltages came out fine. Finally got to try it out, and it sounds AMAZING!  :D :D :D

Now on to the speedball upgrade!