Working Crack mutes overnight! (Solved)

Lolovitch · 880

Offline Lolovitch

on: January 25, 2016, 11:59:17 PM
Hi Team Crack!

I have been very happy with my Crack but ran into an issue yesterday evening. Switched on my Dac and Crack, played some music, put my headphones on but no music, perfect silence on both channels, no noise whatsoever.

My Crack was built in Feb 2014, upgraded with Speedball in Oct 2015 and regularly used since. Working fine until the day before.

Due to time issues, I haven't done any diagnostics yet. My only observation is that both tubes light up. Source and headphones are working.

My initial plan is to check the basics first (i.e. resistance and voltage) and report back here. Anything else I should be looking at while I am at it?

I am a bit puzzled that both channels failed simultaneously. May this be an indicator as to the probable cause?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:21:36 AM by Lolovitch »

Offline Horatio

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:40:58 AM
This is likely completely unrelated however I have personally had a similar experience driving my DAC from my Apple iMac. In every occurrence it turned out that for some reason the audio settings, specifically the Audio Midi Setup master controls had decided to put themselves on mute.

Thought I would mention it just in case as I have given myself a fright on a few occasions...

Offline Lolovitch

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:20:09 AM
This is likely completely unrelated however I have personally had a similar experience driving my DAC from my Apple iMac. In every occurrence it turned out that for some reason the audio settings, specifically the Audio Midi Setup master controls had decided to put themselves on mute.

Thought I would mention it just in case as I have given myself a fright on a few occasions...

Hi Horatio, given that I am also using a mac and fiddling with the Audio Midi Setup to get the sound where I want it to go, I felt compelled by your post to make sure this was not the cause. And to my surprise, it works again!
I was sure that I checked that yesterday but I have to embarrassingly admit that in this case user error was the most probable cause.

Sorry for having created a somewhat useless thread but at least let's conclude it by repeating again what a nice amp the Crack is.

Take care guys and enjoy your music.