Popping in right channel (post Bottlehead repair) [resolved]

amerk84 · 1758

Offline amerk84

Hi all,

I assembled my reduction and making a very long story short it didn't work so after troubleshooting myself I sent it back to get repaired. One of the problems I was having was very noticeable popping from only the right channel. This was independent from the tubes as I tried switching them and it stayed in the right channel.

Got it back last night and it was supposed to be in full working order. All of the problems I was having were fixed including the popping in the right channel, or so I thought. But then after having the Reduction on for 10-20 minutes I went to put on a new record and after I took off the needle there was the popping in the right channel again! But this time it was much less prominent than it was before. Nonetheless, still popping at a low volume and even though it's not noticeable while music is coming through the speakers, it's audible when no record is playing and thus annoying. Complete and perfect silence from the left channel.

Now here's where it gets a little weird. After setting aside my frustration with the audible popping while no music was on by (no duh) listening to more music for an hour or so. I noticed that the popping had pretty much gone away.

Does anyone know what the heck could be going on? Is this part of a break-in period. I vaguely remember reading a forum post that said this could be caused by oil from human hands burning off. I would just love to know if this is something that's normal or if it's something that still needs repair work.

Regards from SF,

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:49:09 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:57:09 PM
Is it maybe a static discharge in your phono cable or cartridge? Try running the Reduction with the phono cables unplugged and see if there is any popping.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline amerk84

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 02:12:37 PM
Hi Doc B.,

I tried disconnecting the phono cables and the popping persists.

-Andrew

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 02:36:13 PM
Has the popping decreased with some play time?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline amerk84

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 04:57:15 PM
After some playing time it seemed to go away. Then when I went to listen to records this weekend it was so bad (again, only in the right channel) that I could hear that popping while music was playing (it used to only be audible during silence).

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:09:11 PM
OK. PB has been out for a week. When he gets back in to the lab I will ask him if he was able to reproduce the issue when it was here. We can issue a call tag if it needs to come back for another look.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:03:18 AM
Your Reduction was completely silent before we returned it to you.  Can you try swapping cables between the right and the left channels to confirm that this is not related to something outside the Reduction? (Swap input and output cables both at the same time)

If popping persists in the right channel, try swapping the tubes between channels.  Also be sure the tubes are pressed in all the way, and that the tube shields are used. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline amerk84

Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 01:13:31 PM
Thanks PB and Doc, I think I've narrowed in on the problem. When the crackling in the right channel started again last night I tried fidgeting with the Phono-to-Reduction RCA connector on the Reduction. I pushed down and back on it and the crackling immediately went away. I'm guessing this allowed the static to dissipate. Either way, thanks for putting in the time on my amp!