What 2A3 for My Amps?

BNAL · 7379

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 06:19:18 PM
Yup, if it follows the tube it's probably an issue with the tube itself. You could try just letting it cook in the amp for a while to see if it might go away.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline marantzfan

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 06:33:07 PM
I'll do that.  I'll give it s week and if it doesn't go away, I'll call Eurotubes about getting a replacement.  Thanks again Dan.

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline marantzfan

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 08:36:20 AM
Well, that didn't take long.  After being on for about ten minutes today, the crackling suddenly changed to a howling and began getting louder so I shut the amp down and called Eurotubes.

Great folks!  They are going to send me out a replacement tube today.

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline mkane

Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 02:59:20 PM
    Anthony. I bought JJ's about 1 month after buying your Stereomour. Thinking they were fantastic, loaded with detail, a bit more omph. My opinion has changed after installing RCA's. The JJ's seem glassy in comparison, especially running speakers as sensitive as Cornwalls

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 06:20:13 AM

I powered everything down, swapped the tubes and noticed that the crackling sound (and readings) followed the tube.

So what does this sound like?  Bad output tube?  Nothing else has changed.
This is likely to be the case.  If the DC voltages are very stable, you can give the tube some run time to see if it clears up.  If these are new JJ 2A3-40's, you might see if you can swap it out from your dealer.  If these are not new 2A3-40's, you can always try resoldering the base pins (there's a little hole in the tip of each pin which will accept additional solder if you get the pin super hot).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man