Replacement Tode speakers?

loch · 4161

Offline loch

on: February 25, 2016, 07:44:58 AM
Well I put my thumb through the speaker when I put the two halves of the amp into the case the first time. Erghhh! I patched the hole with Elmer's glue and a paper towel- painted it- it looked and sounded great. I was afraid to play it at "11" though. But my buddy wasn't afraid, and now the speaker is well and truly blown. Where can I get replacement speakers? Are there comparable speakers available that are similar specs but sound as good/better? Has anyone experimented with different speakers and what are your observations? What about vintage speakers? Etc.

Thanks!

Loch
Tode built 11-22-16

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:00:14 AM
The speaker type is printed on the label on the magnet. It is a Weber Ceramic Signature 8, 4 ohms. You can order one directly from Weber. They are inexpensive, about $33. I haven't found anything else near the price that sounds as good. I have been considering trying an Eminence Patriot 820H which I think should fit. It is, however, twice as expensive.

And of course you can also use the Tode as a head running into an external speaker. We use mine on a 4x12 sometimes and it works quite well.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline loch

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:12:44 PM
Thanks for the info on the speaker. "At-ten-shun to de-tail..." It is the moral of this story. Why haven't I learned my lesson yet???

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:13 AM
But my buddy wasn't afraid, and now the speaker is well and truly blown.
We all have "that friend".  Do feel free to put a pair of fast on connectors on the speaker leads just in case there's another accident.   ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man