It's Here! and it is Beastly

drewh1 · 9977

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #45 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:02 AM
Congratulations Drew, I'm not quite where you are in the process.  It may take trying the EMLs to get there.  The Sophia RPs are good and still only have about 15 hrs in my amp, since they were used previously I don't know what to expect regarding break in. 

Best,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline drewh1

Reply #46 on: April 21, 2016, 09:11:49 AM
Give them some time - I used to be such a skeptic about stuff breaking in. I think as my system has gotten better, I hear more differences.

Be cool if we lived closed enough to swap tubes, I am in San Francisco Bay area.  would love to hear the differences.

Oh, I also installed some NOS (60's) 5670's. Not expensive and maybe a bit smoother than the JAN's that BH provided. If I remember, you already swapped out your driver tubes.

BTW, you got me interested in open baffle speaker designs, maybe my next project, along with converting my Stereoumour to 45's.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline ebag4

Reply #47 on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:30 PM
Give them some time - I used to be such a skeptic about stuff breaking in. I think as my system has gotten better, I hear more differences.

Be cool if we lived closed enough to swap tubes, I am in San Francisco Bay area.  would love to hear the differences.

Oh, I also installed some NOS (60's) 5670's. Not expensive and maybe a bit smoother than the JAN's that BH provided. If I remember, you already swapped out your driver tubes.

BTW, you got me interested in open baffle speaker designs, maybe my next project, along with converting my Stereoumour to 45's.
I'll give them more time, I believe in break in, I just didn't know what to expect since they were used previously.

I'm just outside of Louisville KY.  In another life I was in the San Francisco area fairly often, the company I worked for had a branch in Hayward. 

You are correct, I did pick up some NOS GE 5 star 5670s, they sound nice but I still find myself listening for something my Stereomour does, a certain presence on a couple of tracks.  I am beginning to suspect a difference in caps, but I dont recall hearing it until I put the JJs and the psvane in the Stereomour, maybe not until the JJ had broken in.  I may try the Mundorf silver oils in the coupling cap position like my Stereomour has, unfortunately I won't be able to get Ampohms in 10uF, even if I could they wouldn't fit!  Don't get me wrong, the Kaiju does some things that the Stereomour doesn't, and it does so without strain, I am really enjoying the sound, however, if I can get the sound tweaked just a tad more I will be completely happy.  Of course I need to be more patient, the Stereomour didn't sound the way it does overnight.

Regarding open baffle speakers, for me they were addicting.  I have been listening to OBs since the early 2000s.  The set I am running currently are the best I have had, they use the same bass section as my previous pair which used a coaxial driver from 200Hz up, the current set are more refined.  The only roadblock for OBs is you have to pull them out from the front wall a minimum of 36", more is better.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:19:28 PM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline ebag4

Reply #48 on: April 24, 2016, 09:35:01 AM
Sorry to spam your thread Drew, but since I mentioned it in my post above, I thought I would post what I have found to be the issue.  I noted above that I was looking for a "presence" on a couple of tracks that I enjoyed with my Stereomour that seemed to be lacking in the Kaiju.  Well Im happy to say that presence is back!  It seems my Auralic Aries auto updated the same day I received my Sophia RP tubes.  I did not realize it had updated, nor did I realize that my DSD tracks were playing as PCM.  The two tracks I was specifically having an issue with happened to be DSD files, once I found that the update had defaulted to the DOP setting off, I turned it on and Viola! There was the presence I was missing.

Sorry for the rambling.

Best,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline drewh1

Reply #49 on: April 25, 2016, 07:34:49 AM
No worries Ed,  I am glad to know someone else is obsessing as much as I am.    Quick story for you:  at one point I seemed to lose all of my soundstage and everything sounded flat and 2d. I swapped Cables and moved things around.  After a week of frustration, I discovered I had at some point plugged the amp into the digital component side of my my power conditioner. I moved it to the high current side and everything sounded great again.

Glad you enjoying the sophias. Try sitting back with a beverage and listening for a while. It's fun!

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver