Stereomour II Finally Underway (update: IT WORKS)

rmryan · 4695

Offline rmryan

Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 05:40:18 PM
Update:  I've gotten up to the output wiring.  Still going smoothly, double-checking all connections.  I think I'll take a break for a couple of days to get ready for the last section.  I really want this thing to fire up the first time like the Crack did, not cause me all sorts of heartache like S.E.X.   :P

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Richard Ryan
Bottlehead Customer
S.E.X. 2.0 w/ C4S w/ Blumenstein Orcas
Crack OTL w/ Speedball - Sennheiser HD600
Quickie and Quicksand
Stereomour II w/ Blumenstein Orcas & sub

Offline denti alligator

Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 03:25:10 AM
First of all the temperature has to be right. Then I usually wait a month after spraying the chassis. Its usually very durable after that.

What about carefully taping and then spraying after assembly?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 04:03:19 AM

I've never done it but I don't see why not.

Offline Adrian

Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 02:25:28 PM

I have found that I can carefully mask the top plate and spray the top plate without much effort.
Carefully masking is the key and very light touches with the spray can.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline rmryan

Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 09:06:46 AM
Last section of build went much quicker than I had anticipated, and I finished assembly.  Resistance checks were all spot on, voltage checks were all within tolerances, so I fired it up with a pair of Madisound Kanspea fe103en I got a year or so ago.  Oohoo, sound coming out.  Little bit of hum, adjusted the pots to complete silence.  I'm excited now!  No buzz, no hiss, no nothing.  Play some Jim Hall guitar, sounds great.

Okay, sounds good.  I'll plug in the Orcas.  Turn on and... nasty thump/buzz and lost sound in right channel.  Odd.  Swapped around both sets of tubes right to left and tried again.  Perhaps just had to insert the tubes a couple of times, as everything is now fine.

Not sure I'm getting any more volume out of the Stereomour II than I was from the SEX with the same speakers.  I guess I was expecting to, but it wasn't the reason I wanted the upgrade.  It sounds great, and I'm sure will only sound better the more I play it.

Now I have to finish the base and repair the finish on the top plate and bell that got messed up.  But not today.  Today I'll just listen.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:09:40 AM by rmryan »

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Richard Ryan
Bottlehead Customer
S.E.X. 2.0 w/ C4S w/ Blumenstein Orcas
Crack OTL w/ Speedball - Sennheiser HD600
Quickie and Quicksand
Stereomour II w/ Blumenstein Orcas & sub

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 09:46:39 AM
I just pulled a S.E.X. amp from the Orca surrounds in my HT and replaced it with a Stereomour.  Watched Straight Outta Compton night before last, which has a pretty impressive surround mix. I thought the improvement was rather striking.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline drewh1

Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 07:42:54 AM
Nice work!  Love my stereomour! Give the tubes time to settle in and it will sound better and better.

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver