S.E.X. 2.1 Retired!

Doc B. · 15618

Offline freakmech

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 04:30:41 PM
Im proud to say that I purchased the last S.E.X. kit and look forward to receiving and building it. I have a small recording studio/ workshop/ place of solitude to which the S.E.X. will be utilized. For leisure, when not working on music, I love to search the internet for new and interesting music and talk radio. But I find streaming digital audio, be it youtube, podcasts, soundcloud etc, to be very harsh sounding to my ears through my powered studio monitors. A few years ago I built a Pete Millett designed Jonokuchi amp and a pair of Overnight Sensations just for streaming audio. I was very happy with the lack of ear bleeding harshness of streaming audio. How ever, the Jonokuchi has never been a good match for my favorite casual listening headphones, Grado SR125's. I know they arent great but to my ears they are the least fatiguing utility headphones I have owned, particularly with streaming talk radio. Long story short, Ive been wanting the S.E.X. for a long time now because of the claim of working well with low ohm headphones but still able to push small, efficient speakers. When i saw the last kit was up for sale I couldnt pass it up. I would also like to pair it with some Blumenstein Audio speakers though the DIY in me wants to build something myself. anyhow, thanks Bottlehead community, and my wife, who despite being Mothers Day weekend, allowed me to buy the final S.E.X. kit. I will try to do the heritage justice.   

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 04:38:54 PM
Thank you!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 04:43:05 AM
Wardsweb that is one stunning amp!
Freakmech I think you will love the SEX amp! I just compared my orca deluxe with 83en drivers to planet -10's microfonken with 85wk drivers that I built with their flat pack. They both sound good but the orca cabinet is a much superior enclosure and it is more resolving to my ears. Good luck!
RIP SEX amp! Thanks for all the fun Doc and company!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:45:09 AM by tsingle999 »

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:07 AM
So sad :( My hot-rodded S.E.X. is my favorite headphone amp and through the years has become such a versatile little unit... but I can understand needing to put models out to pasture for business reasons. I referred a couple of my customers to run over and snatch up the last of the units before they were gone  ;D

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline cspirou

Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 06:28:40 AM
Is a 3.0 version in the pipeline or a similar spud amp?

Gaël Nguyen
Biophysicist and DIY audio enthusiast

My Setup so far; DIY Fostex fe83en speakers, Koss MV1 Studio Headphones, HIFIMAN re-400 and Topping TP21 amp.

Work in progress; gainclone and an Aleph 30 amp

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 07:46:01 AM
We're going to be working on some ideas tomorrow.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline boulos

Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 05:36:20 PM
Is the Output Impedance Switch Kit going to be available for those of us who have the SEX but weren't wise enough to purchase one earlier for protection  ??? :-\