Bypassing Smash to output to Crack

Rublyow · 2709

Offline Rublyow

on: March 10, 2016, 09:55:28 AM
I'd like to make one set of the outputs bypass the entire Smash amp stage so that I can simply route the input signal to another device. Basically I'd like to have my Crack permanently wired to one set out outputs, but I don't need the extra gain of the Smash when using the crack. My phono stage only has one output, and I'm sick of having to unplug it to switch between the Smash and the Crack. I'd also like having to avoid switching the Eros between inputs on the Smash, so ideally I'd like to have one set of inputs simultaneously output an amplified signal through one set of outputs and the raw, un-amplified signal through the other set.

My thought is to basically disconnect the resistors between the two outputs, and run a jumper from the center pins on one set of inputs to the center pins of one set of outputs, while leaving all of the existing input wiring in place. A few questions: is it OK to split the input signal in this manner? Basically I'd have one set of inputs running to both set of outputs, both as a passive signal and as an amplified signal. Also, what's the best way to handle the negative signal? Should I remove the wire that connects the negative signal of the two outputs and run a separate ground wire from the input jacks to the grounds of the output jacks? Or should I just leave all of the grounding in place and only connect the + signal wire between the input and output jacks?

Or, is this a terrible idea altogether?  I realize a true passive preamp would help, like the Submissive, but since I only use one output on the Smash anyway it seems a bit redundant.

Dan

Marantz TT-15s1  / Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge / Bottlehead Eros / Bottlehead Crack / Bottlehead Quickie / Onkyo A-10 Integrated Amp / Paradigm Monitor 7 v3 speakers / Peachtree Audio Era D4 speakers / Fusion Tempest DIY speakers / Sennheiser HD 585

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 12:54:49 PM
Take the outputs of the selector switch and wire them to one set of output jacks on the back of the Smash.
-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Rublyow

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 03:06:00 AM
Wow that is so much simpler. And just to clarify, I'd keep in place the existing switch output wires that currently go to the tone/volume pots, and then connect a new set of output wires from the switch to the output jacks?

Dan

Marantz TT-15s1  / Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge / Bottlehead Eros / Bottlehead Crack / Bottlehead Quickie / Onkyo A-10 Integrated Amp / Paradigm Monitor 7 v3 speakers / Peachtree Audio Era D4 speakers / Fusion Tempest DIY speakers / Sennheiser HD 585

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 03:28:46 AM
Yes, that is correct.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Rublyow

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:22:31 AM
To revive an old thread since I finally got around to doing this: should I cut the ground wires that connect the two output jacks, and run the output ground wires from the selector switch to the bypassing output jack? Or should I leave the ground wires connecting the two output jacks in place and only run the signal wires from the selector switch to the output jacks? Basically I'm just wondering if the bypassed output jacks need to be connected to the common ground, and if so, the best way to do this. Thanks!

Dan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 06:29:50 AM
If you plan to run twisted pair type cabling, then cut the grounds to the second set of jacks.  If you're going to try running a single wire, then leave the grounds in place.

Paul "PB" Birkeland