Stereomour one channel louder [resolved]

Bartguy · 2275

Offline Bartguy

on: May 13, 2016, 10:10:51 AM
Hi, I've had a Stereomour I built a few years ago with Goldpoint Mini-V stepped attenuator and selector switch. Recently I noticed that the right channel has started playing much quieter than the left channel. The low channel is still playing, but at low volumes it's hard to hear at all. At louder volumes, you can hear it, but it's still much lower than the left channel. I've reheated all the connections between binding posts, inputs, the stepped attenuator and the selector switch and I seem to have connectivity everywhere.

Can anyone suggest some likely culprits for the channel disparity I'm hearing? Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:12:44 PM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline MisterM

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:43:41 AM
Sounds like the same problem I had with my Stereomore. A new tube, actually I upgraded to a new pair, solved the problem. Swap tubes to see if the low channel changes.

Frank Horvatich

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:51:35 AM
I agree, swap 2A3's then retest, then try an alternate 12AT7.  Also triple check that you don't have a cable issue or just an issue with one RCA jack out of all the input jacks. 

If that doesn't help, we can assist you in sending a 60Hz tone through the amp to measure where the dropoff is.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Bartguy

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:12:51 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'm out of town for a few days, but I'll try as soon as I'm home and report back

Offline Bartguy

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:06:56 AM
Turns out the channel volume issue was with the source, not the Stereomour. So all good. Thanks all.