240V Crack voltage check

druelle · 4122

Offline druelle

on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:37 AM
Hi all,

Received my Crack + Speedball kit a few days ago and have attached all the parts to the faceplate. Great fun so far for a newb like me, and am now practicing my soldering technique (first time doing it!) before I get started on the second stage of the Crack.

My question, before I start soldering, is that since I'm using the 240V transformer, will the voltage checks be different from the 120V version listed in the manual?  If so, could anybody please let me know what the optimal voltages are for 240V (note that I'm actually using 220V mains, if that makes any difference)? I'd much appreciate any input.

Also, a minor issue:  the bell end of my transformer appears to be rusting (there's a rust-colored power on most of the top of it).  Is that any cause for concern? Should I treat it with a kind of spray paint?

Many thanks for the help.  Man, I'm having a blast already!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:04:32 AM
I bet the output of the transformer and all ensuing voltages are the same.  Only the input voltage should be different.

Logically speaking the circuit is the same.  Therefore the output of the power transformer should be the same.

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:29:42 AM
About the transformer. Mine had a lot of surface rust too. I just hit is with some 00 steel wool and painted it with flat black hi-temp paint for engine exhaust pipes. Works like a charm.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:50:28 AM
The voltages should be within 15% of the published figures. All of the parts in the kit are unfinished. Best bet is to steel wool the bell end, then use paint, clear coat or whatever. The chassis plate will be OK without a finish, or you can paint it. The wood base looks best with a clear coat or your favorite stain and varnish.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:32:59 AM
I can see why in the Pacific NW there would be a rust problem.  I'm visiting there this fall.

Doc, what is the gun blue that you recommend?

Thanks,

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:03:45 PM
Birchwood Casey Super Blue is easy to get and easy to apply.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:27:00 PM
Thank you very much.  Now I will use my Garmin to find a gun store... well, maybe not.

Offline druelle

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:01 AM
Thanks Doc and everybody for the incredibly fast and helpful replies!  Really appreciate the help.

Offline druelle

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:36:14 AM
Just a quick question regarding painting the transformer bell-end:

I'm a complete and utter n00b when it comes to paint (and DIY in general: this is my very first foray into DIY but so far I'm absolutely addicted!) and was wondering if using a black aerosol Acrylic Lacquer paint would be sufficient for painting the bell-end?  I'm a bit worried about the heat of the transformer stripping the paint off, so am not sure if this kind of paint is sufficient for this kind of equipment.  I'm currently not located in a developed country, so finding good paint (like the kinds other people have used with their Cracks) is a bit hard to come by, so I may have to just make do with less than perfect paint. 

Also, the bell-end is almost entirely rusted over so I assume I should use steel wool to remove all traces of rust before I paint?

Many thanks again for putting up with my rookie questions!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:07:27 AM
Yes, buff the bell end with some steel wool before you paint. If you can find a hammertone type paint it is particularly durable and heat resistant. But most acrylic type paints will hold up fine at the heat level the power transformer will run at.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.