Resistor options for Kaiju

drewh1 · 2216

Offline drewh1

on: July 02, 2016, 10:08:47 AM
Probably a question for Paul

I am wondering if these resistors (Ohmite Metalmite89), mounted directly to the alumininum top plate would help to reduce ambient heat inside the Kaiju. Since the heat would be dissipated immediately through the alumininum plate, the heat exposure to the nearby caps might be lessened?

http://www.mouser.com/new/ohmite/Ohmite-89-Series-Resistors/

thanks,
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:11:03 AM by drewh1 »

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 09:22:13 AM
What ambient temperature do you have inside your Kaiju?  What ambient temperature would you like inside your Kaiju, and why?

Chassis mount resistors are very dependent on the chassis for heatsinking.  The 1K 25W chassis mount resistor that you've linked to requires 118 square inches per resistor for proper heatsinking (the chassis is 160 square inches). 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline fritzthecat

• Analog Chris - Fritzthecat
    • Lakeside Audio Association
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:22:00 PM
I thought about this as well but forgot about as the chassis gets quite warm even without any mounted resistors heating it up further - I guess the only way would be to install additional heatsinks inside the chassis but this would again rise the temperature inside so additional ventilation slots would be necessary and that would not really look nice though I even could have them lasered by a friend. How warm does a Kaiju chassis normaly get at a normal ambient temperature of 20 degrees Celsius? I mean, it is summer and the ambient temperature affects this a lot.

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
Apple Mac Pro / Media Center 23
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP
AN Kits L3 Phono / Bottlehead EROS
Bottlehead Kaijus for JBL 2402, JABO 75 (JBL 2445/Truextent), Orishorn 150 (JBL 2108)
Silvercore 833C for (Klipschorn/Crites)

Offline drewh1

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:28:05 PM
just back from camping!

So my concern is the Mundorf caps have a temp rating of 133 degrees. I measured the temperature inside the chassis with the following ambient temps.

71 ambient - 100 degrees around the capacitor, (near the resistor)
85 ambient - 112 degrees.

I am also moving to a location with temperatures that might exceed 85 at times.

My goal would be to keep the temperature as low as possible.  It doesn't sound like the resistors will help much without more heatsinking.

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:34:20 AM
Which Munforf caps are you using? I looked at their data sheets and all of the caps they had listed had the same max temp of 185 F.

Tube gear gets hot. I've had amps that would raise the room temp by 10 degrees.  BH gear runs warm. Elevate the amp to allow more circulation. I use blocks and elevate them 1-2".  If you can help it, try not to worry about it. Tube gear runs warm, BH gear is well designed and ventilated, especially the Kaiju.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 07:17:29 AM
If your room temperature exceeds 85F with regularity, this generally suggests an area where air conditioning is prevalent.

Still, you're well under the temperature rating you provided, though I can't find a Mundorf product that is rated that low.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline drewh1

Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:52:46 PM
thanks for the responses. Air conditioning is pretty uncommon in california btw. I am not very worried and get that I am under the operating temps of the mundorf caps, just bored and looking for new stuff to change out :)  I'll probably leave well enough alone.

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour