Kaiju wiring - basic tuning recommendations? Polypropylene cap replacements?

fritzthecat · 8776

Offline fritzthecat

• Analog Chris - Fritzthecat
    • Lakeside Audio Association
Talking about tuning options - would it be apropriate to replace the big white wirewound (?) resistors used inside the stock Kaiju by let's say Mundorf MResist wirewound types of same value or wouldn't that make any sense at all?

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
Apple Mac Pro / Media Center 23
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP
AN Kits L3 Phono / Bottlehead EROS
Bottlehead Kaijus for JBL 2402, JABO 75 (JBL 2445/Truextent), Orishorn 150 (JBL 2108)
Silvercore 833C for (Klipschorn/Crites)

Offline fritzthecat

I am sure you could attach a support of some sort if you wanted but I have never had a problem with mounting caps this way. I do not move my equipment and it certainly doesn't get a lot of vibration.

Really just enjoying listening so much right now, I don't feel the need for any other changes.

Hi Drew

thank you so much for the picture - great...;o) I'll try it with some sort of support - got something in mind I'll work on - I mean for a perfectionism freak like me there is no other option anyway. I installed the DC Filament upgrade last night - will check out tonite - it was actually quite difficult to rewire everything as I took the word "attach" very serious - so I had to use brute force to get it done - hope I did not damage resistors by overheating them etc. - I attached a picture for you. The VCaps and Mundorfs I'll use in my next Kaiju where I go for complete solid core silver wires with teflon sheating - let's see...;o)

Have a great start into the new week and all the best from Switzerland,

Chris

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP
Bottlehead Kaijus for JBL 2402, JABO 75 (JBL 2445/Truextent), Orishorn 150 (JBL 2108)

Offline drewh1

Btw. Where are you in switzerland? I used to visit Geneva and laussane quite frequently.  Even sailed on lake Geneva 

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline fritzthecat

It's the other large lake - lake constance - I live opposite Friedrichshafen in Salmsach, just next village from Romanshorn, where the ferry (Romanshorn-Friedrichshafen) harbour is located - actually when you take that ferry you are paasing about 100 meters from my house...;)

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Talking about tuning options - would it be apropriate to replace the big white wirewound (?) resistors used inside the stock Kaiju by let's say Mundorf MResist wirewound types of same value or wouldn't that make any sense at all?
For the 120 Ohm resistors, the Parallel Feed output topology that we use will tend to reduce the impact of power supply modifications.  Having said that, they can still be slightly audible. 

There are also the big beefy 1K cathode bias resistors, but the 100uF cap across each one will be far more audible.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline drewh1

Chris - I was planning on leaving well enough alone and now you bring this up :). I don't see the mundorf m-resist in 120 ohm.  Do they make them?  I think if I am going to change out the 100uf caps (probably using mundorf Evo) I might as well do the resistors as well while I am in there.

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline fritzthecat

I'm sorry that I brought this up. You are right, the Mresists are not available @120R - I gonna ask Nick from HifiCollective for advice - keep you up to date what is going on @ the resistor front.

Just to be sure: You would replace the 220uF/250V Cap through a Mundorf EVO equivalant? Is it okay to use a foil type there? I thought it has to be a electrolytic type?

The 1KOhm 25Watt resistors should be replaced then as well, don't they?

I'll do some research regarding the 120R 10W and the 1KOhm 25 W types - I think Ohmite could be a decent replacement? What do you think?

Anyway, I'll let you know, what Nick comes up with - maybe Chris Johnson from Partsconnexion has an Idea as well.

Just to be on the safe side: They all have to be wirewounds - right? Or could one go for something like Path Audio as well (I know they offer special values made to customer specs - but I don't know if these are decent for the Kaiju).

BTW - I just ordered a Bee Pre yesterday and I want to really use the best parts available - gonna ask the two Botthead Pauls for advice which measurements have the biggest impact - my goal would be to create kind of a tuning/upgrade guide which steps have to be taken in which order to achieve the best results - let's see, what one can come up with.

BTW 2 - Where do you order your tubes?

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
BTW - I just ordered a Bee Pre yesterday and I want to really use the best parts available

I would be interested in how you determine this.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline fritzthecat

Uh, I'm sorry - I forgot a word - I wanted to write "the best looking parts available" so I am at least able to post pictures of tidy builds...

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP

Offline drewh1

Hi Chris,

I miss-typed - I would look at replacing the 1k ohm wirewound resistor and 100 uf capacitor on the output tube circuit (pg. 44 in manual). Ohmite has its AudioGold series, probably Mundorf for the capacitor.  No plans to mess with the power supply circuit at this time.  If you want EML tubes, I would go direct to EML. My advice is stay away from TubesUSA as I had a bad experience ordering through them. It wouldn't make sense for you to use them from Europe anyway.  So far, I am very pleased with the EML Meshplate - very transparent and musical tube.  At some point, I would like to try the EML 2a3 Mesh in my stereomour.

Doc - I really appreciate Bottlehead because your products give me a platform to modify so I learn more about electronics.  spending most of my life as a professional musician, I tend to trust my ears when making mods although mods do seem to have a cumulative effect.  I am also sure I have spent money on audio BS but better to do it buying parts than buying one expensive amplifier after the other.  It is a great hobby!  Thanks for creating these products.

drew.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:21:33 AM by drewh1 »

Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
That's good. It's all about what sounds best - to you!  And that is why, no matter what some salesman may tell you about the perfection of his product, there really is no universal best in any of this stuff. For me, a combination of reliability, continued availability over a long period of time and a sound I am very satisfied with is what makes a part the "best".

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline fritzthecat

It's all about what sounds best - to you!  And that is why, no matter what some salesman may tell you about the perfection of his product, there really is no universal best in any of this stuff. For me, a combination of reliability, continued availability over a long period of time and a sound I am very satisfied with is what makes a part the "best".

Absolutely agree - I got two Kaijus - one already finished just using the parts you provided with the kit - the other one I am just about to build and that's how I want to find out what is "my personal best" or the best to my ears: I thought about replacing single parts and then compare what's changed (guess I have to leave especially the foil caps for quite a while as they have to break in) - so I think I'm going to have quite some fun for the next - let's say - few years to find out - maybe I never will - at least I'll try.

Chris

Sony 557ESD
Thorens TD 124 Mkll
Lenco L70 (PTP tuned)
AN Kits L4 Preamp
AN Kits L4 DAC / MiniDSP

Offline thunderfrenchie

Can you use oil caps for the  0.1uF coupling caps if the voltage rating is correct?

Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Can you use oil caps for the  0.1uF coupling caps if the voltage rating is correct?
Sure.  About the only cap I can think of that you wouldn't want to use is a motor start cap.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
A few years ago, there were several reports of Jensen oil caps leaking current, especially the copper foil+oil ones; these caps were also sold as Angela and Audio Note according to some reports. Also some Duelands were reported to leak oil; those were said to have been made by Jensen. Some posters said that oil caps need to be sealed (e.g. the old Vitamin Q caps), more to prevent corrosion and electrical leakage than to prevent oil from escaping. Reportedly, Jensen has fixed some or all of their own problems in current production, but of course a lot of the older ones are still around in inventory or on ebay.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of these reports, but it's an issue. You might do a little googling some fine afternoon when you have a few hours to spare ...  :^)

Paul Joppa