Can Paramount be built with 45s?

Jim R. · 4549

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: October 21, 2009, 07:19:05 AM
Just curious if Paramounts can be built with 45s with a change in OPTs, plate chokes, and operating points?

How about shunt regulation for the B+?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:47:40 PM
Paramount can easily be run with a 45 - just build the 2A3 version but replace the 2K cathode resistors with 3K resistors. They are in series for this direct coupled approach, so the total cathode resistance is 6K for 45s, 4K for 2A3s.

I can't get the numbers to work right for a shunt regulated version - not enough voltage available for direct coupled, and too much voltage for capacitor coupled. And (as posted elsewhere) the voltages work for a 2A3 but the current is too high for designs we have in inventory. I'll continue to work that one but at a low priority.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:27:48 PM
Thanks very much Paul.  Now I wonder if anybody has done this and what it sounds like :-).

Will the input sensitivity stay pretty close to the same?  The direct coupling is a real bonus too.

Thanks again,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Paul Folbrecht

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:44 AM
I'm considering building a pair for 45.  Anybody who has done this care to share re: the sonics?

I would assume the OPT load is not appropriate but that does not have too big an effect.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:29:42 AM
I would assume the OPT load is not appropriate but that does not have too big an effect.
The operating point is adjusted for optimum operation with the Paramount 3K load impedance.

If you do this with Magnequest iron, let me know and we'll get Mike to gap the plate choke for more inductance.

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:47:36 PM
PJ,

If you increased the inductance for use with 45s in the paramount, or used the alternate choke in the stereomour, how would that effect the ability to also play 2a3s?  Aside from the lower power/longer life, willl the higher value plate choke have any negative sonic effects if you built either of these amps to use 45s primarily but with the option of running 2a3s?

-- Jim