Noise issue under GPU load

Fridge Monster · 1980

Offline Fridge Monster

on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:52 PM
I recently moved across country, and noticed a new issue with my Mainline after getting everything installed again. First of all before you ask, my Mainline was extremely well packaged, and placed inside a very well padded box, inside a very well protected cabinet, along with all my other audio equipments. So the only thing that may have occurred would be heat during the move, but then again, the weather never gets as hot as the device anyway. My connection as follows:

Desktop --> Chord Mojo (USB) --> Mainline. I'm using the default power line, plugged into a power filter (stage 1). This configuration has not changed.

I noticed that whenever I start any games (ie: Overwatch, Witcher 3, FurMark, or any other 3D programs that causes GPU load) there's a loud continuous crackle. This was never there before, and it's noticeable starting at -27dB (coarse volume knob), and gets extremely loud at 0dB (coarse volume knob). At first I thought it was coming from my Mojo, since disconnecting the usb, then touching the metal of the usb to my Mojo, was able to recreate the sound during gaming. I then plugged my IEM's directly into the Mojo, turned the volume all the way up, and has NOT noticed any noise at all. Also, when the Mainline connects directly to my desktop sound card (Asus STX II 7.1), the same noise was experienced as well. Furthermore, at the highest coarse volume (0dB), even moving the mouse cursor around causes small clicks, which varies depending how fast I move the mouse. I'm guessing that rules out the Mojo as the source of the problem, and isolates the Mainline as the issue. But, when I connected my iPhone directly to the Mainline, using the same mini-jack to RCA cable I used on the Mojo, there was NO NOISE! I also tried plugging in the power plug to different power strips, different wall outlets, plugging in the RCA to the other input on the Mainline, trying out different RCA cables, all to which did not help. There's also no problems with my GPU, and there has been no driver changes lately, no firmware updates, no changes to my hardware, no damage from the move. I also checked the bottom of my Mainline, which was the same way I left it before the move, as expected due to my perfect packing skills :D

So please, if there's any advice how to fix this noise, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:54:34 AM
Your USB is noisey.  Try a different port and removing all unnecessary devices from the bus. Use of an optical connection would also work.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:42:00 AM
Also I would guess that, assuming you are using the same setup as before you moved, maybe your computer is sitting closer to the Mainline now.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Fridge Monster

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:50:07 AM
Your USB is noisey.  Try a different port and removing all unnecessary devices from the bus. Use of an optical connection would also work.

I tried different ports and using different USB cables. The setup is the same, why should there be noise now?

Also I would guess that, assuming you are using the same setup as before you moved, maybe your computer is sitting closer to the Mainline now.

Even the placements is the same, I'm using the same desk and the same computer stand. The computer is sitting on the opposite side of the Mainline too. Could there be damage to the Mainline during the move? I'm not getting any noise from plugging into my iPhone directly though.

Offline Fridge Monster

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:53:37 PM
Plugging mainline to the RCA output of my soundcard also makes the same noise. I did this after disconnecting the DAC completely, as well as the USB.

This is so odd

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 06:55:38 AM
Is your room warmer than before?   It could be the fans on the video card or case running faster that is generating the noise.

M.McCandless

Offline Fridge Monster

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 12:17:49 PM
Is your room warmer than before?   It could be the fans on the video card or case running faster that is generating the noise.

Around the same temp, it's around 78 degrees, at most 4 degree difference than before. The video card fans doesn't turn on unless I run games, which may be contributing to the noise. But it wasn't any different than before, so I'm not sure why the difference.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 05:38:14 PM
Sounds to me like it might be a connector somewhere that has degraded contact.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Horatio

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 02:08:55 AM
Have you tried using a USB hub between the computer and DAC - few people here with similar issues and that helped fix it for them...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/324159-28-hear-mouse-moving-windows-speakers

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 06:21:48 AM
Use of an optical connection would also work.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Fridge Monster

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 07:50:54 PM

I just connected my Mojo to the optical. NO NOISE AT ALL!! Only thing is that I can only play at 96kHz instead of my typical 192kHz.

So what was the problem? Was it within the Mainline, was it the Mojo, was it my computer? This noise did not exist before.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 04:11:18 PM
So what was the problem? Was it within the Mainline, was it the Mojo, was it my computer?
These kinds of noises are generated by your computer.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man