Eros break-in question.

adeep42 · 1919

Offline adeep42

on: July 25, 2016, 05:49:24 AM
Was reading about Eros break-in in topic started by docbob52 and answered by Grainger49 on 6/29/14. Suggestion is to run CD continuously into the Eros. Interesting idea since 100 hours is a lot of vinyl. My questions are, did he mean run CD output directly into the Eros and does the running Eros need its outputs connected to some kind of load? If you did this, would running 4 days straight cause ant damage to the Eros?

Thanks all,

Alan

Offline Adrian

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 07:25:24 AM
This doesn't answer your question but for consideration, why not just play your vinyl through it and get an appreciation for how the sound changes during the "break-in"?
I guarantee that it will sound fantastic way before the 100 hours.
Actually, these electronics are in a continual state of change, we just can't perceive it except at the start (birth) and at the end (death).
This is, of course, just a gut feeling I have and not backed up by empirical evidence (I think?).

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 07:47:16 AM
Yes, it's not like the break-in phase will do any bodily harm. It's also not like somebody throws a switch at 100 hours or 50 hours or 400 hours or whatever length of time. Not sure why people get so hung up on it. Just experience it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adeep42

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 08:26:13 AM
Thanks Doc and Adrian. I agree with you both and have always let my components "break-in" over time, but I've read so many comments about break-in time. I used to believe that break-in was basically BS as far as electronics were concerned but over many years of using higher quality and more sophisticated components( both tube and solid-state) I've become a believer. About 2/3rds done with Eros build. Really looking forward to listening.

Alan

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:58:24 AM
I'd like to preface by saying that I listen to my gear while its breaking in. I don't use any of the following but I want to let you know that they are available.

As you know phono pre-amps are high gain amplifiers that take a very small signal from a phono cartridge and make them large enough to run into the input of a line stage, integrated amplifier, etc. Moving magnet cartridges generally have an output level of 2.5 mV to 5 mV. The average CD player or DAC has an output level of 2 V. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting 2 V into something that's designed for 5 mV. Therefore you'd want some type of attenuation between the CD player and the phono stage. There may be other ways to do this but here are a few examples.

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/iriaa2-inverse-riaa-filter

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/frybaby2-compact-burn-in-generator

I'm not affiliated with Hagerman in any way.

Offline adeep42

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:34:27 PM
Thanks Natural Sound. That's some very interesting tech from Hagerman, but the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to just listen, wait patiently and evaluate over time.

Alan

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 01:59:49 PM
Alan,

I broke in my Eros using my iPad/Spotify as outlined at the end of a previous Eros thread "Added Russian Capacitors."  Then I added some 0.47uF Mundorf SIO's and just keep throwing records on.  I get both schools of thought.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:05:12 PM by Sugar Man »

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline adeep42

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 05:18:26 AM
Mike, thanks for your input. I will probably do something similar. I will certainly be listening to vinyl. Really anxious to get back to work on the kit. Am past the first few hard wiring steps and voltage checks. The real hard wiring fun is a head of me.

Thanks to all for your input,

Alan

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:01:06 AM
Remember to go slow and be patient.  The Eros is a challenging build, but worth it!

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline adeep42

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 03:34:09 PM
Mike, I'm doing my best to take my time. Completed next section, wiring the Shunt regulator and board. Really challenging. But passed the voltage tests, led's lit up, tube heater glowed. Thanks for the advice.

Alan