Foreplay III - popping on power-down

syncro · 2271

Offline syncro

• syncro architecture studio
on: July 23, 2016, 11:20:53 AM
Once I replaced the coupling caps with the big black Obligattos, the power-down pop mellowed as compared to how it sounded with the stock parts.  It has been consistent for several years.  Recently, the "pop" became profoundly and disturbingly louder and sharper.

What creates this sound from the FPIII?

Why would it have changed?  (I have an unscientific theory that it may have to do with the fact that the pre-amp has been operated by others in the house recently, more so than in the past.  Powering off, then on again after a few seconds has been part of the operational activity.)

How can I minimize it?

Thanks in advance!

David Bogle
LinnLP12>Hagerman Piccolo>Hagerman Ripper / Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC / Sansui TU-717>BottleheadFPIII>Yamaha M-45>Klipsch ForteII

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:15:56 PM
Preamp on first, then amp on. Amp off first, then preamp off.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline syncro

• syncro architecture studio
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:39:44 PM
 8)  Simple is good.  Thanks, Doc!

So, solution to the issue at hand (build the S.E.X kit, or add a power switch to my ST-70), but I still wonder about where the puff of electrons comes from.

David Bogle
LinnLP12>Hagerman Piccolo>Hagerman Ripper / Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC / Sansui TU-717>BottleheadFPIII>Yamaha M-45>Klipsch ForteII

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:42:53 PM
1) Normally, the pop is from the output capacitor charging (turn-on) or discharging (turn-off).

2) This gives no clue about why it might change. The likliest things that come to mind is a possible change in downstream components, e.g. an amplifier with greater gain than before, or a more sensitive speaker?

Paul Joppa