Speedball Last voltage check: Am I Good????

bmilcs · 1366

Offline bmilcs

on: September 25, 2016, 01:28:34 PM
OA: 111.3
OB 111.9
G 0
B+ 185

The guide says 75-100v for both OA and OB but not to freak out if it's outside of that range.

I just want to be absolutely sure I'm okay to test this bad boy out!

All LED's light up.

I am using a $20 Craftsman Multimeter afterall :D

Offline bmilcs

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:58:34 PM
Feeling confident, I plugged it in and sounds fantastic :D

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:40:09 PM
Yeah, these voltages on the big board are somewhat dependent on the voltages coming out of the small board.  If the OA and OB voltages on the small board are close to 100V, then the OA and OB voltages on the large board will creep up a bit.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline bmilcs

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:45:07 AM
Yeah, these voltages on the big board are somewhat dependent on the voltages coming out of the small board.  If the OA and OB voltages on the small board are close to 100V, then the OA and OB voltages on the large board will creep up a bit.

-PB

Hey man,

Do you know of a reliable source for tube AMPS that won't cost an arm and a leg? I want to try out a few of the popular models.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:48:34 AM

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline bmilcs

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 01:09:35 PM
Why, yes, we do.

http://bottlehead.com/amplifiers-for-loudspeakers/

Excuse my dyslexia: amp TUBES for my Crack Speedball.

Offline Rhok

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 01:48:13 PM
Excuse my dyslexia: amp TUBES for my Crack Speedball.
There are a couple of sources, but eBay is really the big one.

I've spent a small fortune on tubes for my Crack + SB, and while the setup I have now is worth the gain, the amount of money would ideally be better spent towards a better amp.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, tube gambling just to see how one might sound over the other is pretty addictive.

if I were in your shoes I would hold off on tube rolling / any other modifications, enjoy what you have, and when you can afford it or have the itch, upgrade to one of Bottlehead's higher end offerings.

If you are set on tube rolling, try to acquire a Tung-Sol 5998, and a CV4003 from Mullard or Brimar (that is what I'm running, and is my favorite combination, and the most recommended for this amp).

Additionally, in my experience, paying a premium from specialized dealers versus eBay sellers has been worth it.

Offline bmilcs

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 02:00:40 PM
There are a couple of sources, but eBay is really the big one.

I've spent a small fortune on tubes for my Crack + SB, and while the setup I have now is worth the gain, the amount of money would ideally be better spent towards a better amp.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, tube gambling just to see how one might sound over the other is pretty addictive.

if I were in your shoes I would hold off on tube rolling / any other modifications, enjoy what you have, and when you can afford it or have the itch, upgrade to one of Bottlehead's higher end offerings.

If you are set on tube rolling, try to acquire a Tung-Sol 5998, and a CV4003 from Mullard or Brimar (that is what I'm running, and is my favorite combination, and the most recommended for this amp).

Additionally, in my experience, paying a premium from specialized dealers versus eBay sellers has been worth it.

Thank you for the advice and recommendations. I have the itch for a little more clarity and slightly more punchier bass with the HD650's. I'm sure this will fit the bill perfectly.

Can you help me find these at good prices? That would be killer!