Stereomour II with Film Caps in PS

Jamier · 4210

Offline Jamier

Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 10:28:25 AM
I have about 15 hours on it. How long should the amp sit without power before I start clipping the electrolytic cap leads? The bleeders should work pretty fast, right?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 04:57:46 PM
I replaced the last stage PS caps with the Mundorfs (100uf). I got everything soldered and decided I should voltage check terminals 26,27,34 and 35. It's very tight in there when the capacitor cradles are in place. When I attempted to check 34 I must have touched 35 at the same time and.....
Well, you know what happened. The LEDs on the left channel of the C4s board are out. I am hoping that is all that is wrong. Any way I connected the amp to my system just to hear what the right channel sounds like. I only had it up for about 10 minutes before shutting it down but it seems like the amp has greater detail and a bit more bass. I'm considering taking the C4s board out of the other SII but I don't know if that is going to solve all of the problems. Does anyone have advice?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 02:46:59 PM
OK, up and running. When I shorted 34 and 35 I cooked the 130 ohm resistor preceeding the last capacitor stage on the left channel. I was lucky enough to get ahold of the Queen today. She sent me a few new resistors, so I decided to take a 130 out of the other SII to continue with the cap substitutions( THANKYOU Eileen !). I now have the last two stages replaced. I have a couple hours on it now. The difference between this and the stock amp is not subtle. The detail is improved and the bass is better. It just sounds more substantial. Last night I thought It might take me weeks to get back to this point. I'll give it quite a few hours in this configuration before changing the 220s in the first stage. If one were to swap only these last two stages it would be very much worth while. It really is the 220s that require the big base and all the work that comes with that.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 04:34:23 PM
     I finished the last (actually the first) stage today. I have about 4 hours on it with the 220s replaced. The improvement with this change is all about noise, that's about it. It is really quiet now, almost black. There was not the dynamic improvement that came with the first two stages though. So, to sum it up, at this point I think you get about 60 percent of the improvement with the swap of the last stage caps.The swap of the second stage gets you about 30 percent of the improvement. The last stage gets you about 10 percent, but it's the stage that requires the taller base and a lot of work.So, if you want it all take the leap and get out your power tools. If you only want most of the improvement, just build some nice, sort of tall corners for the stock base and your almost there.

Jamie

PS: Pics Attached

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 05:06:45 PM
I should correct myself. Swapping the FIRST stage gets you about 10 percent of the improvement. Sorry for the ambiguous language.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 03:41:36 PM
I want to post a final comment on this topic:

I have had the SR circuit installed in the Film Cap version and in the Stock version of my two SII amps for several weeks. After much comparison ( before and after SR) I can honestly say that prior to the SR install, the Film Cap version seemed to have a better low end and more detail than the stock version. After the SR install the two amps sound nearly identical two me.Film Caps might have better bass but I can't swear to it as my A to B comparison requires break down and set up time, so it's not exactly instantaneous. So, I really don't recommend swapping out the PS caps, I don't really see any advantage, other than the film caps may last longer, but with the amount of work that it required, you could definitely change your electrolytics a lot faster.

I have considered the possibility that the lead length on those film caps is so long that perhaps it is offsetting the advantages of those big caps, so I might shorten those to see if there is improvement. But at this point, I really think that the circuit is so optimized that changing certain parts out for more expensive and less convenient versions yields very little improvement, especially since the SR circuit came along.

Jamie

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:46:41 PM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Deke609

Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 05:10:06 AM
Jamie - Thanks for posting the results of your cap mods and comparison with the SR upgrade. Although it is now an old thread, your observations are helpful to people like me who are looking to play around with tweaking their build.

Regarding the lead length on those big caps: did you get around to shortening them, and if yes, did it change anything? If the concern is that there may be hum/noise induced by magnetic fields in the amp, you could try experimenting with copper tube shielding wired to ground.  Copper refridgerant tubing comes in 1/8 and 1/4 in, is easily curved, and is inexpensive - I think around $10 for 4+ feet of the stuff.  I will be experimenting with it in the coming weeks. 

p.s. - incredible build!  Nice routering!

cheers,

Derek

Offline Jamier

Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 06:33:34 AM
Derek, I have not shortened those leads. If I were to do that I would eliminate the possibility of installing the DC filament upgrade. There would not be enough room for everything.After many hours of comparison between my dead stock SII and the film cap version there is very little difference between the two. I don't think those leads are picking up enough flux to be audible. Also, as I mentioned back then, I don't think the cap upgrade was a significant improvement. It was so much work, that in the beginning I wanted to believe the improvement was there. But, after hundreds of hours on both amps, I really believe that there is very little difference.So, my advice to anyone posting the results of mods and upgrades;  is wait a while and be sure it is real. I definitely pulled the trigger too soon on the film cap upgrade result posting.If I were to describe the "very little difference"; the film cap version might have a slightly better bottom end, but it is not quieter. I think it's way too much work for what you get.

Jamie

James Robbins

Deke609

Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 07:00:02 AM
Thanks, Jamie.  That's the gist I took from your original posts - but I wanted to check to see if anything had changed.  I was contemplating going down the expensive cap upgrade path, but now I won't.  My next step may be to put a BeePre in front of the SII. Other Bottleheaders have raved about the soundstage, clarity and dynamics of the BeePre.

cheers and thanks,

Derek

Deke609

Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 08:07:57 AM
Jamie - further to your point about jumping the gun on deciding whether a mod actually changes the SQ: my sense is that this may be a particularly difficult issue to pin down because it's hard to take into account the role played by the brain-ear and learning.  I suspect it's possible for a mod to make a slight change in sound that pushes a music artifact above what I'll call an individual's "notice threshold" - such that a previously unnoticed detail becomes noticed.  But thereafter the brain-ear knows the detail is there and can listen for it, potentially hearing it even with removal of the mod that first made it noticeable.  I believe I experienced this yesterday when switching between unbalanced and balanced configurations.  When I switched to balanced, improvements in detail were immediately obvious, but after switching back to unbalanced after an hour of listening, I found that the unbalanced sound had magically improved too!  But some quick A/B testing on selected tracks confirmed (for me) that the difference was real - but now that I've "learned" the new detail, I can hear much of it even in unbalanced.

If there's anything to my foregoing speculations, this suggests a really inexpensive way of adding extra detail to one's listening: listen to one's favorite music on a better system (friend or audios store), find the hidden detail, and then go back and hear much of the same on your own system.  :D

Offline Jamier

Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 08:37:54 AM
The realization that came to me after that whole cap upgrade thing is; My acoustic memory is pretty shitty and I think that's probably true for most people. I did not have a rapid A/B comparison setup. That is absolutely crucial for making comparisons on these modifications/upgrades.

Jamie

James Robbins