Really interested in Seductor

Clive · 4819

Offline Clive

on: November 10, 2016, 10:00:03 AM
I'm in the process of talking myself into a Seductor even with the UK Pound in the state it's in.  My speakers have 100db sensitivity, they are 16 ohm OBs with active bass from 90Hz downwards.  I have various amps (none are Bottlehead), 300B SE, SE Solidstate, Class D, even a Quad 306.  I also have an amp based on the EL84 SE (APPJ PA0901A / miniwatt N3), this has been heavily upgraded but not by myself.  This EL84 sounds fabulous into my OBs, even with its switching power supply.  Is anyone going to talk me out of a Seductor?  I guess not, any comments about how it compares to maybe even the miniwatt N3?  I'm looking for good resolution, the EL84 sweetness, SET imaging, good dynamics, low noise / hum.

It's just going to happen, isn't it......

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 01:20:11 PM
Sounds like the Seductor is pretty much just what you are looking for. The more traditional transformer/rectifier/CRC power supply usually sounds a lot cleaner than a switching supply. And the SEDCTR feedback design yields a damping factor that is higher than a typical zero feedback SET amp and sounds better than the typical pentode with global feedback. That should be a good thing with your OB speakers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Clive

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:50:45 PM
Thanks Doc...I'm sure I'll be ordering soon.  I expect that 4W should be plenty as the miniwatt n3 is fine but just in case I eventually want to run two SEDCTRs, to get the full 8W is it still 0.9V at the input or rather more?  Of course 8W with 100db speakers is overkill....

The only question I have in my mind is do I want a Stereomour II?  If I went that route I'd use it as a power amp, I presume simply wouldn't fit the pots and switches and place a 50k resistor across the input. 

Oh I don't know...maybe I'll start with SEDCTR.  I expect the Stereomour to be a little cleaner and more neutral sounding whereas the SEDCTR would be sweeter.  Is that correct?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:47:31 AM by Clive »

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:32:10 AM
Clive, I think that some of your questions can be answered in this link.
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=6741.msg65648#msg65648

What kind of a source are you using? CD player, DAC, Phono etc.?

Offline Clive

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 03:57:05 AM
Clive, I think that some of your questions can be answered in this link.
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=6741.msg65648#msg65648

What kind of a source are you using? CD player, DAC, Phono etc.?
Thanks for the link, it covers some of my questions but not quite the character except to say the preamp has an influence. 

As for my sources etc:
2 turntables, 1 tube phono stage, 1 solidstate phono stage
1 DAC (files based playback)
Preamp - AVC (Slagle - John Chapman/Bent AVC-1)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 07:48:05 AM
At that sensitivity, your speakers aren't going to need more than a couple of watts.  The Seductor or Stereomour will work wonderfully for you.

Out of the box, the Seductor has a lower noise floor than the Stereomour, but this is not an issue if your speakers are crossed over at 90Hz.  If you want to use the Stereomour as a power amp, you just turn the volume pot all the way up, no other changes are really necessary. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Clive

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 11:05:54 PM
Thank you to everyone for your advice and input.  SEDCTR will feature in my very near future.

Offline Trajan

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:45 PM
I built a Seductor.  Zero noise.  Nice little amp.  The EL84 is awesome.  Do it.

Offline tomn3

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 12:15:50 PM
I would second that, I built a Seductor also- the sound is fabulous.

George Merrill Polytable TT + Grado Opus 3
Reduction+Smash+Seductor
Allo Digione
Omega Junior 8 XRS tower speakers