splitting out from Seduction to Quickie/Stereomour?

denti alligator · 1360

Offline denti alligator

on: November 21, 2016, 09:08:01 AM
I'm thinking of using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-adapter-male-female-assembly/dp/B0009MFRW0/ref=pd_cp_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0009MFRW0&pd_rd_r=P6ZB56KNEHMV1MT5P379&pd_rd_w=dZHIf&pd_rd_wg=fSTnn&psc=1&refRID=P6ZB56KNEHMV1MT5P379

to split out from my Seduction, with one cable running through my Quickie to my Steremour, and the other running straight to the Steremour. Why? Because sometimes I like to blast vinyl, and need that extra kick and gain from the Quickie. But usually I don't need it, and would rather save the battery from (and hassle of remembering to turn off) the Quickie. This would allow me to switch swiftly without having to swop our wires.

Anyway, my question is: will this work? Or will I have impedance issues?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:12:53 AM
Seduction has limited ability to drive capacitance, while the capacitance of two cables in parallel is the sum of their capacitances. So keep the cables short and/or use low-capacitance cables. I think we have been saying 2 meters of ordinary cable is about the limit, so two cables of 1 meter each is about it.  **

That said, I don't recall doing any careful listening comparisons ourselves. If you have a variety of cables on hand, you could do that yourself - which will give you more useful data anyhow.

**edited - Josh is right, of course. I think 300pF total is a reasonable goal, and typical of generic cables. That will give a -3dB point around 100kHz. Here's the first thing that google came up with:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/285128-measuring-capacitance-some-rca-cables.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:03:57 PM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:34:31 AM
1m is what the manual says. On my personal Seduction, I've never gone over .5m.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 01:46:36 PM
Well, I was running a 12' cable to the Stereomour before, so now the combined length will definitely be below that.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 05:52:05 AM
Denti alligator, I was looking at a splitter like that.  I ended up ordering a y cable splitter from blue jean cable to split from the quickie i have on order, to the original stereomour and servo sub plate amps.  The only reason I ended up not going with the hard splitter was to get the extra 12 inches.  My 1 meter cable was going to be pushing it distance-wise. 

Side questions-
1.  what will i be listening for when cables get too long?  This is considering the capacitance.  I am now curious about splitting from a quickie and how those cable lengths will affect sound. 

2.  Does splitting a preamp signal always result in -3db? 

Sorry if this has switched focus of this thread.  Seems fairly related...
Thanks,
Ben

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 01:08:50 PM
1.  what will i be listening for when cables get too long?  This is considering the capacitance.  I am now curious about splitting from a quickie and how those cable lengths will affect sound. 
Increased cable capacitance will roll off treble.
2.  Does splitting a preamp signal always result in -3db? 
No.  If, for example, you have a Quickie with PJCCS and two loads (amps) with 100K input impedances, plugging in the first one will give you about 0.3dB of insertion loss (compared to having nothing plugged in).  Plugging in the second amp will increase the insertion loss to 0.7dB. 

A 9K load on the Quickie with PJCCS will give you 3dB of insertion loss, and is well below the recommended loading impedance for the preamp. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 06:53:42 AM
Thanks again.

Ben