Buzz in right channel after speeedball [resolved]

yay · 607

Offline yay

on: December 19, 2016, 02:36:41 AM
So i just installed the speedball, all measurements where on point.
Just plugged in, everything works. Just that there is a buzz in right channel, for like 2 seconds, dropping out for half a second, coming back again. One part on the board looked quite crappy, before i soldered it. Could it be that? Buzz starts once tubes come to temp, after few seconds of turning it on. I shorted the rca plugs, and sound was still there. Does get louder when i turn up the volume. There is also background noise at higher levels, but i assume that is normal. Although it might be more noise than before, not entirely sure.
I took a picture:
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FaF9u10g.jpg&hash=113c7b1096b88ceb86120da6c90727b15c011a40)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:28:22 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline BNAL

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 04:16:05 AM
It sounds like a cold solder joint. I have had the same type of issue with other amps and it was a wire that was not soldered properly. I would re-flow the connections to see if that helps.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline yay

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 04:34:37 AM
Seems to have been it, odd that it was only in the right channel and only after speedball.
One of the wires on the PT i had forgot to solder, it was only wrapped around the connector.
After soldering it, everyrhing is quiet!

Dead silent even at high levels.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:39:13 AM by yay »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 08:30:40 AM
Just a note about the transistors - we value old stock transistors for parts like the 2N2907 and 2N2222 because there are a reasonable number of fakes floating around currently.  The 2N2907 in particular is now a part that floats in and out of stock at many vendors, so we will occasionally seek out surplus sources for these transistors rather than delaying kits by several weeks while the parts come back into stock.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man