Next DIY meetup

Doc B. · 9135

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 01:30:18 PM
Just a bump for the Head Fi meet this Saturday. Sounds like we will have a few new attendees, a Schitt Yggi, and probably some surprises. I also will have the completed Neothoriator Serial No. 2 for demo, which has some nice improvements in the level metering circuit. And of course we will have a Mainline running for those who want to listen to it before you take advantage of this week's Mainline kit sale. See you Saturday!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 05:27:15 AM
It's time for the June meeting! This Saturday from 12-3 we will meet up at Bottleheadquarters. The focal point will be our new speaker kit, which is very close to production. The latest part we have completed is getting the impedance compensation network and the passive crossover off the breadboard and into the format they will be in the kit. This latest step has been interesting in that, even though the circuit values are the same as were in the prototype, the sound took a big jump up in quality when Kelvin installed the new network boards inside the cabinets. They are sounding the best they ever have. You just never really know what will make an improvement!  We'll have the speakers set up so that you can bring your own amp to try with them.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 08:19:02 AM
Holy crap. The Bainbridge Island Rotary Auction is happening down the block from us today. It is a giant cluster f***. Luckily I came in on my bike so I could weave thru the madness of a two way street turned one way, with cars being pulled out of ditches by tow trucks, people wandering out if front of cars and a huge line of traffic trying to get into the schoolyard to collect their junk.

Honestly you might want to skip this one. If you are on your way, I am here. You will have to turn from highway 305 onto Madison Ave, one signal before Sportsman Club Road. Once on Madison turn right on to New Brooklyn. Then turn right onto Sportsman Club Road.

God help you. It's supposed to lighten up around 2.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 12:49:44 PM
This Saturday is the next meetup here at Bottleheadquarters, from 12-3. We will be focusing on vinyl, playing with an experimental all tube moving coil cartridge stepup preamp we built a couple of years ago. The result was a modest success - modest only because it has an ever so slight noise floor that I deemed just a little too loud for a commercial product. But man, every time I put it in the system the dynamics and natural sound just knocks me out. So I thought it would be fun to let others hear it even if it isn't "perfect".  We will compare it with a Peerless 20-20 style stepup transformer built by Mike LaFevre, using a Haniwa HTCR01 cartridge, SME3009 tonearm, Analog Engineering AE-2008 turntable, and a Bottlehead Eros phono preamp. Bring your favorite record!
(https://bottlehead.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/20170801_1301341-e1501621066168.jpg)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:13:56 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 11:56:51 AM
DIY meetup Saturday, September 2nd, 12-3 at Bottleheadquarters

I thought it was time to show what the Neothoriator SE845 headphone amp can do as a 4 watt per channel speaker amp. So we will be using a Neo to run our speakers at the next meet. While the Neo has a definite Bottlehead house sound to it, it's quite interesting to hear what the stereo 845 amp does differently than our usual 300B setup. Can you say "resolution"?

What the heck, we'll also demo the Neo as a preamp with a Kaiju 300B amp. And if there is time folks can listen to the neo driving AKG K1000s too.

(https://bottlehead.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/20170810_1704361-e1502409775920.jpg)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 12:49:55 PM
Bump for Saturday's meetup. It's here at Bottleheadquarters from 12-3. I have the Neothoriator 845 headphone amp running as a preamp (wow), a pair of strapped Kaiju monoblocks on the Jäger speakers, and I have found a couple of new artists whose music I'm excited to share. Bring you favorite music, your latest project, and a friend!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:52:40 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 05:53:48 AM
This Saturday is the next meetup here at Bottleheadquarters, from 12-3. We will be focusing on vinyl, playing with an experimental all tube moving coil cartridge stepup preamp we built a couple of years ago. The result was a modest success - modest only because it has an ever so slight noise floor that I deemed just a little too loud for a commercial product. But man, every time I put it in the system the dynamics and natural sound just knocks me out. So I thought it would be fun to let others hear it even if it isn't "perfect".  We will compare it with a Peerless 20-20 style stepup transformer built by Mike LaFevre, using a Haniwa HTCR01 cartridge, SME3009 tonearm, Analog Engineering AE-2008 turntable, and a Bottlehead Eros phono preamp. Bring your favorite record!
(https://bottlehead.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/20170801_1301341-e1501621066168.jpg)

Doc,

That's a lot of transformers there!  I'm assuming this would be part of the premium line if it makes it to production?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 02:15:45 PM
That's a lot of transformers there!  I'm assuming this would be part of the premium line if it makes it to production?
Modest successes don't go into production.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 11:36:10 AM
I figured the mc preamp wasn't done yet.  Just needed some extra Bottlehead magic :)

Dave

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 01:51:23 PM
The next meetup is this Saturday, October 7th, from 12-3 at Bottleheadquarters. I have the Jägers biamped, with the 50wpc Big Betty PSEP 6550 amps on the woofers and strapped Kaiju SET 300B monoblocks on the tweeters.  The preamp is my Neothoriator, which I think sounds even better than a BeePre.  In fact I think this setup is the best sound we have had in our room yet. You really ought to hop on the ferry and come by to hear it. Rumor has it a bunch of VALVE OGs will be there, which always adds to the merriment. And I have a Nagra 7 digital recorder we can listen to as well.

See you Saturday!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 03:40:27 PM
If I come, I'll have to bring Blackplate Jr.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 06:17:42 PM
I'm sure the gang would like to meet him!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline richardl

Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 11:16:09 AM
So far as I know Paul Joppa and I are coming and trying to drag another.  :D
Richard

Offline johnsonad

Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 12:23:39 AM
I will be at work for 24 hours and unable to attend....

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 04:32:17 AM
Pooh!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.