Use With Headphones?

bmwnutt · 3287

Offline bmwnutt

on: January 10, 2017, 07:22:15 AM
Does anyone have any words of wisdom for using this as a headphone amp? Modifications? Headphones are Audeze LCD2, 60 ohm planar magnetic.
This amp is appealing because I could also use it to drive my Klipsch Cornwalls and small Pioneer SP-BS22LR computer speakers that worked fine with another 4 watt amp. It may also work on my JBL L100t3's and DIY Scan speak/AMT Heil's; Both 91db. Vacuum Tube Valley called the EL84 "The baby with bite". I swept seven Bugle Boy 7189's out from under some shelving while cleaning up an old storage room. They had probably been there since the early 60's and still new in their green and yellow boxes. This amp would put them to good use.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:01:02 AM
Obviously you would need a TRS to speaker binding posts (banana plugs) adapter for the headphone cable. Other than that I would suggest wiring the output transformers for 4 ohms to get the lowest noise floor if used exclusively with headphones, or wire them to match the nominal impedance of the speakers you will use most often if using it with speakers or headphones.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:15:07 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline bmwnutt

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:31 AM
Thanks; I'll sample to see which tap works the best, and may end up putting more banana jacks on the panel. I plan to build a four wire headphone cable after I get this set up.